If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

A complete novice joins

Truly Amateur Novice

Hi

As my name and topic title suggest i am completely new to the world of Railway Modelling (within the last 18 months) and am in the process of building my first layout - i don't even have a name for it yet! My knowledge is extremely limited, and its fair to say that practical skills are not my forte but i have a very patient Father In Law who has helped, and continues to help with ideas and advice. He took me to the Warley Show at the NEC last year and it was a real eye opener.

My domestic manager has allowed me a spare room (a recent house move was dependent on having enough space for a Walk in Closet and a train room for a permanent layout) the 6 baseboards that the room holds were built over a week in March '12, my responsibility was mainly holding the wood straight, although at 1 point i was promoted to light drill work.

The pictures that are below show what i have managed to achieve within the last 6 months (roughly the amount of time i have been physically building) - its a continous run, with an Eddie Stobart distribution centre/warehouse, 2 stations and the rest is open to ideas - its a very much make us as i go along project, but its my money funding this - so there!

Mainly used Metcalfe Models for the buildings - i have attempted Scalescene's models a couple of times but i will refer you to the non existent practical skills so they have pretty much ended up in the recycling!

Most of my rolling stock are in the pictures - my pride and joy is an Eddie Stobart Class 66, with a H90 Intercity (i think!) coming in a close 2nd

I am tempted to "blog" from the complete novice point of view but am unsure as to whether any would be interested in reading as the majority of the readers will be far ahead.

Please feel free to comment on what you see.

post-15688-0-56886100-1337544404_thumb.jpg

post-15688-0-94892400-1337544434_thumb.jpg

post-15688-0-61013700-1337544465_thumb.jpg

post-15688-0-12788600-1337544495_thumb.jpg

post-15688-0-52605700-1337544525_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the mad house.

Everyone has to start somewhere and early layouts are always learning affairs as you work out what you want to do with your layout. I'm sure it'll go through various variations as you gain skills and knowledge.

My one piece of advice is to look at what era you currently ware interested in ( I'm guessing modern image ) and try to get rolling stock that fits into that timescale. That way there is less likelyhood of you ending up with stuff that doesn't fit and ends up being sold for a loss or in a cupboard.

Welcome to the forum, you have made a great start and truth be told you have more to show for six months work than many of us. I just echo what Katier says, decide what you want to model and buy items that you will enjoy. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we all began as novices, you will find this a very friendly forum. Enjoy your modelling.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard and thanks for the introduction to your layout. I'll look out for it in a blog or a layout thread.

You'll find this to be a most excellent source of advice and inspiration, with many very able modellers hiding behind the webnames.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

We are always pleased to welcome "novices" to the Forum! Before you know it you'll be telling us all how to do it. I've been modelling for over 30 years but have learned an enormous amount since I came across RMweb a couple of years ago. Even better when you are an active member and post!

Enjoy your time here and don't be afraid to ask the "obvious". Your question is probably the one I've been thinking about for years!!

Jeff

Archived