r-t-r chassis for GEM Glen

i have recently purchased a Gem glen 4-4-0 loco and tender body kit and it looks like a relatively easy build but i am looking to put a r-t-r chassis under the loco if possible.

i am not too confident - as yet at chassis building and where possible i always fir a r-t-r chassis as these are usually better runners.

i have an older glen which is fitted with a old triang L1 chassis and this runs ok but, these are gettin hard to come by. does any rmwebber know if there is a newer rtr chassi out there that will fit. i did think about using one of the Hornby railroad chassis but as yet have not measured one up.

can anybody help.

gary patterson

Kingfisher24

Gary

It may be possiable to fit newer chassis into the Glen, I have fitted one of the latter Hornby Jinty chassis (Margate front wheel drive version) into a Wills J39, which has taken the motor out of the cab. As the chassis is plastic it was easy to alter, and I had to modify both front and rear fixings (plasticard and Milleput).

Also the GEM older style L1 chassis do come up on Ebay from time to time ready built. Though it might be worth while seeing if someone on RMweb would make the latest GEM chassis up for you, that would be the best option

Hi all,

It is possible to fit a Hornby 4-4-0 chassis into the Glen...

It's not perfect or accurate - but can be made to work.

Try looking at the Hornby website for the parts diagram for the 2P to get more of an idea.

Thanks

I think the Glen has a 10' coupled wheelbase so the 2P chassis (9'6" wheelbase) would be incorrect.

The T9 or Schools chassis have a 10' wheelbase

Ian

Archived