Rail audio recording: external mic advice

Colossus

I've long been unhappy with camcorders' built-in mics inability to record the bassy sounds of railway subjects. Yet I've never boned up on external mics. I'm thinking of upgrading my camcorder (maybe the Panasonic SD90) but have a dual question:

What type and brand of external mic to choose for the above? Secondly, if I wished to record railway sounds in isolation to enjoy the audio in its own right or, to dub onto video footage, what equipment for audio only recording would you choose?

Any advice appreciated.

That's a very decent mic.

Since I've been buying my own (jeez) I like the Audio-Technica range for quality vs breaking the bank.....Something else to take a look at, anyway.

Best, Pete.

Yes, it's not a cheap piece of kit that! I dare say you get what you pay for though. Do you record railway sounds mate?

• RMweb Gold

So you have an SD90 but don't use the Rode mic on it - how come? Is the SD90 built in mic that good? What do you use the Rode mic in conjunction with?

Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

I have a Sony mini DV based camera, which is a league better than the SD90, so I use the mic on that, but I'm looking at getting another for the SD90,

hth

Yes, it's not a cheap piece of kit that! I dare say you get what you pay for though. Do you record railway sounds mate?

Do take note of what Dave (Beast 66606) tells you - he has way more experience of Field Recordings than me! I always take his advice.

I'm just a Musician...

I'd just say: Make sure you get a good Stereo Picture in audio; it makes all the difference when combined with visuals.

Best, Pete.

Archived