Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 25-the old one

• RMweb Premium

First of all congratulations for having the good taste to stick with the Hornby model. Several years ago I cobbled together a set of EM gauge wheels for the Hornby 25 mechanism. I combined a set of Romford/Jackson wheels and axles with the gear from the Hornby wheel set. I filled in the recess in the Hornby gear with Araldite and waited for it to set firm before trimming off the boss on the gear. A further smear of Araldite on the rear face of the appropriate Romford wheel helped hold the gear firm and maintain concentricity.

It was a bit of a faff, but a cheap conversion. A little later I got hold of a Bachmann 25 that had been dropped, chucked the body into the parts box and married up the best bits of both, Hornby body and the Bachmann mechanism; but if you already have a sweet running 25 there should be no need of this further expense.

I have one each of Bachmann's 24 and 25, plus a Hornby 25 and another Hornby converted to a 24. The Bachmann chassis are lovely runners but the 'face' of the 24/25 is not right, particularly the curvature of the roof 'brow' and angle of the cab windows (both too shallow).

I haven't been able to do anything to the Bachhy 25 (yet!) but with the 24 I shaved off the gutter at the front and added a new, higher arched version out of microstrip. While still not correct, it does look a bit better.

As for the Hornby 25, I have been fitting the body to a Bachmann class 25 chassis, getting the best of both worlds!

Archived