Retaining walls

• RMweb Gold

It depends on which bit of Kent you are basing your layout on.

http://www.kentrigs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:-geological-map-of-kent&catid=4:geology&Itemid=17 shows the different types of rock that exist under bits of Kent. Some basic rocks are okay for building. As an example, I live in Ross-on-Wye, where there is a lot of red coloured sandstone. This sandstone is strong enough to be used for construction, so there are a number of buildings and walls that are red sandstone, so everything matches. In the Yorkshire Dales, there's a lot of limestone, and in the southern Pennines, there's millstone grit and sandstone. I'm fairly certain that chalk isn't a good building material, so there won't be any chalk buildings, but not being a man of Kent, I don't know about what rocks can be used to build things there.

My point is, make things match.

Good Morning Andrew

Yes I agree with the above post, most of the local rock in Kent is pretty rubbish so I guess most railway structures will have been built out of brick. Why not look on Flickr and type in the Flickr Search bar locations such as 'Ashford station' or 'Sittingbourne station'. Seems to show lots of dull orange/brown bricks - should give you some ideas.

Regards Ray

...most of the local rock in Kent is pretty rubbish...

Most, perhaps, but flint has been widely used in the past, often combined with brick. However, the main local building stone is Kentish ragstone. This is a limestone that occurs along the line indicated as greensand on the geological map posted by Phil. Photos of ragstone structures here. Not the best building stone, but neither is it rubbish.

Nick

Most of the retaining walls I've seen around Kent (and I've lived here for about 20 years) seem to be of red brick, with the occasional blue engineers' brick. Though a creamy coloured brick was used for some station buildings (Westenhanger, for example), I've not seen it used for other work. Where lines cut through chalk, and there's enough space, the rock seems to be left without facing, though a lot of bits like this have acquired retaining netting in recent years.

Archived