Signalling for new club layout

• RMweb Gold

I'm not picking on your comments

not you ..

Well see Im learning something new from this too. Although what threw me was the fact that at one end there are two signals on the slow passing line / loop area that is also connected to the sidings. If there are signals at one end, why not t'other?

The signals mentioned are provided because its the entrance / exit to / from the controlled area, the other end of the sidings would be under local control, no need for signalling.

hth

I've just had a quick look and the signalling looks OK but the running signals would be either all 3 aspect or all 4 aspect.

On the Erewash, (Nottingham to Chesterfield) the mainline were signalled with 4 aspects whilst the slow lines only had 3 aspects.

• RMweb Gold

On the Erewash, (Nottingham to Chesterfield) the mainline were signalled with 4 aspects whilst the slow lines only had 3 aspects.

And on the WCML it was all 4 - once again the "not region specific" part of the original requirement is ignored, and the 4 /3 has been done to death by plenty of other posters.

Sorry 43110andyb but I think I will drop out of this, I'm getting fed up with making the same post time after time after time ... I'll leave it to all the experts.

PM me if you want any private assistance.

• RMweb Gold

That's come out with a nice mixture of all sorts I think. Mixed 3 & 4 aspect on adjacent lines which was quite common (there's about 12-15 worth miles of it less than 6 miles from where I'm sitting) and occurs on several Regions although others never, to my knowledge, used it. GPLs with route indicators were used on some Regions but never on others, and by that date some Regions but not others were getting well into signalling into loops/reception roads towards fixed reds instead of STOP boards.

Provided you use BR standard number plates and are a bit nondescript on signal numbers readable on the signals I reckon it's come out as a fairish mixture.

Sorry 43110andyb but I think I will drop out of this, I'm getting fed up with making the same post time after time after time ... I'll leave it to all the experts.

PM me if you want any private assistance.

As I started reading the post from the top I replied to the post as I came to the point about all 3 aspect or all 4 aspect. Noticing only later - as I read on that many people had pointed out that there is no hard and fast rule about three and four aspect signalling.

The "none area specific" bit IMO people have just been adding whats common in their area to try and get a consensus on what's more common/uncommon and by the sounds of it, more people see/experience a mixture of 3&4 than all of one. Thus in satisfying the "none area specific" bit it would seem more appropriate if a mixture were used.

A knowledge and appreciation of signalling isn't the preserve of a select few.

• RMweb Gold

more people see/experience a mixture of 3&4 than all of one. Thus in satisfying the "none area specific" bit it would seem more appropriate if a mixture were used.

Actually most people quote small (ish) stretches of line so it's hardly a representative experience, most of the Western, all (?) of the Southern, most of the Midland, a fair amount of the Eastern and all (?) of Scotland are NOT signalled with mixed 3/4s - which is why I suggested 3 aspect throughout. I could easily quote a local area which is 3 aspect only, or the WCML nearby which is 4-aspect only but I was making the generic point - it seems they have decided to base it in the North Eastern area which makes sense and does mean they can then choose things which are more "correct" - based on local stuff.

As I started reading the post from the top I replied to the post as I came to the point about all 3 aspect or all 4 aspect. Noticing only later - as I read on that many people had pointed out that there is no hard and fast rule about three and four aspect signalling.

And neither is reading the whole thread so you don't repeat what has already been said - which was actually why I was tee'ed off, nothing to do with the actual information which is always useful.

Archived