GWR "False Panel" Livery

For my period, I will need some coaches in chocolate and cream with the false panel lining. Does anyone know the measurements and details of the lining? I have been advised that it might be the same as for the earlier "lake" livery, can anyone confirm this?

The HMRS book "Great Western Way" (J N Slinn, 1978 ISBN 0 902835 03 3) may cover this. My copy is currently out of reach so can't be sure.

It does provide some details, but not a complete description. Perhaps the recent new edition has more detail? The one specific detail given is that the gold lining (initially it had been yellow) was 7/16" wide, the same as on the previous lake livery and narrower wider than the 3/8" of the 1902 livery. No information is given on the width of the black lines between the gold that represented the missing beading. Panel sizes, of course, would depend on the design of the coach.

Nick

There is a lot more to GWR mock full panelled livery than simple panel widths. When reintroduced in 1922 the panelling was applied to steel sided coaches as if they had raised panelling, however, it soon changed to a style new to the GWR with cream panels between the black door "frame" and the indian red "bolections". Anyone proficient with a bow pen can't go far wrong simply going off photos.

There is a lot more to GWR mock full panelled livery than simple panel widths. When reintroduced in 1922 the panelling was applied to steel sided coaches as if they had raised panelling, ...

Steel sided coaches were introduced during the lake period and these coaches were also heavily lined. I don't know how proficient Mark is with a bow pen but I am unsure whether a line a little over 0.07mm wide (at scale width) is achievable?

..... I don't know how proficient Mark is with a bow pen but I am unsure whether a line a little over 0.07mm wide (at scale width) is achievable?

I've mentioned in the past on here, do the the yellow/gold line first as one 'broad stroke/line, then a single black line down the middle, don't try and do a thin yellow/gold line either side of the black.

OK, that may not be the way professional painters do it, but my LNWR coaches have been praised many a time for their lining, and their done as stated above.

Steel sided coaches were introduced during the lake period and these coaches were also heavily lined.

What was the purpose of mentioning GWR lake livery when I was specifically dealing with the OP's question : "For my period, I will need some coaches in chocolate and cream with the false panel lining". (?)

What was the purpose of mentioning GWR lake livery when I was specifically dealing with the OP's question : "For my period, I will need some coaches in chocolate and cream with the false panel lining". (?)

I'll assume you're not baiting but that leaves me quite unsure what response you expect?

• 3 weeks later...

Answering my own topic. I was up at Didcot over the bank Holiday weekend, and was chatting with Pete Spellar of the C&W department. It never seems to have been written down or authorised in any way, but the lining both for lake and chocolate and cream seems to have been done on the basis of overall width 1-1/2in---the same as the width of the panelling---with a 3/8in gold band flanking the black on either side. Some have quoted 7/16 for the gold, but Pete's opinion was that this was as a result of measuring the line made by a painter with a worn brush.

I strongly suspect that none of the great deep thinking ones in the C&W drawing office even thought about livery for flat-sided unpanelled stock, and when they hit the paint shop, everyone scratched theirs heads for a few minutes and put the lining on as if the panelling was there.

That's interesting, Mark, as when Slinn mentions the 7/16" width for the lake and 1922 liveries in GWW, he refers to "the specification". Whilst brush width and, indeed, variations between individual painters, not to mention subsequent measuring errors, might acount for a 1/16" difference in the yellow painted lining, it would not explain the width of gold leaf lining. Mind you, it's all angels on pin tips at the scales most of us are interested in.

Nick

Archived