Pattern making for whitemetal castings

I am thinking of producing my own patterns to produce some whitemetal detail castings using fabricated components.

I intend pinning the components together is it necessary to silver solder or are some of the higher tempreture soft solders a practical proposition?

Thanks

John,

I would ask your mould maker. Vulcanised moulds need masters that can withstand higher temperatures, non vulcanised can cope with lower temperature solders.

If the items involved are small, you might consider lost wax brass. The initial moulds used to make the waxes are okay with "normal" modelling solders in my experience.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Do you have to use white metal? Small and detailed parts can be cast in resin and the original master pattern can then be made from plastic (or any other material). A search should find previous topics on this subject from Phil Traxson, Jon Hall and others

Mike

Hi All,

If it has to be whitemetal, some modern room temperature vulcanising rubbers and silicones can (I think) withstand the high heat required. Check with your supplier as to the specifications of their products. Thus you can make your masters out of anything within reason including styrene. If you are not using a centrifugal casting system as is traditional in the whitemetal kit industry then this would seem the sensible way to go. I would also consider resin as the casting medium too if possible.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Archived