Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

So I've built my layout, what now?

They are tapped direct from furnaces to the bottles in the USA, and have seen it done in smaller foundries in the UK, my aim is for the ladle to transfer the metal into the bottles at the bottom end of the hall. Theres is a track on the left side close to the outside of the shed to allow for this process to take place. This is how it was at stanton except the ladle was loaded directly onto wagons.

I hope to take the best of lots of steel works and combine a rail operation it isn't set dead accurate.

That's iron Joe, not steel, Stanton was an iron foundry and iron isn't melted in electric arc furnaces. Steel is always tapped into teeming ladles, never top poured ladles. However, as you say, if you just want to capture the general atmosphere of a mill it looks fine.

That's iron Joe, not steel, Stanton was an iron foundry and iron isn't melted in electric arc furnaces. Steel is always tapped into teeming ladles, never top poured ladles. However, as you say, if you just want to capture the general atmosphere of a mill it looks fine.

Whoops silly mistake, apologies, so how would u advise doing it Arthur? I work in brewing, completely different industry, just like the theatre that happens and wanted to capture that, could do with someone who knows the steel industry :P Cheers joe

so how would u advise doing it Arthur?

I asked for that !!, :) .To be honest Joe it's difficult because Electric Arc shops are not big users of the kind of interesting steel works rolling stock that I'm sure you'd like to use, ladle cars, slag cars etc. You've mainly got raw materials inwards in standard rolling stock, and finished product out the other end, again in standard rolling stock. Any internal user stock tends to be rather battered opens of one sort or another.

Basically EAF's are cold charged with scrap, a bit of limestone, some alloying additives and, sometimes, cold pig iron, all delivered in open/mineral wagons.

Hot metal (liquid iron), carried in open topped or torpedo ladles from blast furnaces, is very rarely used. In the U.K., possibly only Brymbo, in North Wales, did so briefly, in the 1970's.

Hot metal, carried in such ladles, was previously used in Bessemers and open hearths and is used today in Basic Oxygen Furnaces.

Steel from any of the above furnaces is tapped into a teeming ladle, that is one with a controlled bottom stopper, they are lifted by overhead crane and are not rail mounted. The key thing about them is that the steel is not poured out of them from the top/lip because slag floating on top would enter the mould or caster. Here's a photo in my gallery showing ingot moulds being filled (open hearth steel in this case but the practice would have been the same in EAF shops)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/12434-iron-to-steel-12/

This is ingot casting for subsequent rolling, these days it would more likely go into a continuous caster. But again, no rail traffic, it's all overhead crane movement.

Depending on your time scale, pre 1980 say, you could have hot ingot rail traffic going to the rolling mills like this;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/12438-iron-to-steel-13/

After 1980 it's much more likely to have gone through a continuous caster, again, no rail traffic other than moving the end product from the far end of the mill, bar, section, rods etc.

So, to follow a degree of prototype operation; you could justify your torpedo ladle by having it delivering iron from adjacent blast furnaces for conversion to steel in the EAFs, not a common practice, but not impossible. In which case have your rail track deliver it alongside a concrete pit in the ground. It would pour it's contents into a transfer ladle standing in that pit which a crane would then move to the furnaces. Keep the space under your furnaces track free, teeming ladles would stand there. I can find some photo's if it's of interest.

EAFs don't produce huge amounts of slag, road based carriers move it usually, but again rail mounted slag ladles could have been used.

Hope that's of some help.

Working in brewing and living in Burton on Trent, who'd of thought it :)

My layout MurrayField Junction will be roughly 85% complete by 2013. I spoke to lots of exibition managers about taking my layout to their show. plus my age and the fact that it is unfinished could basicly show what could be done on a 'pocket money' bugdet and what can be acheived in a year!!

so if there are any exibition managers out there looking for something different then MurrayField Junction is the layout for you!!!!

• RMweb Premium

My layout MurrayField Junction will be roughly 85% complete by 2013. I spoke to lots of exibition managers about taking my layout to their show. plus my age and the fact that it is unfinished could basicly show what could be done on a 'pocket money' bugdet and what can be acheived in a year!!

so if there are any exibition managers out there looking for something different then MurrayField Junction is the layout for you!!!!

Do you have your own layout topic on here to show your work in progress? As suggested earlier in this thread, maybe if exhibition managers can see what you have they might contact you through the forum.

• RMweb Premium

sorry if this has been covered already but what scale are you modelling. my guess is 4mm / foot by the photo.

Like Mark says lets see the progress, lets see some more pictures. it is plain to see you have attracted some interest from your single photo.

i have put some photos on my page 'MurrayField Junction'. please see if they are good enough!!!

I haven't put them all on due to internet speeds!

thanks, what are exibitiors looking for!!

Archived