Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

So I've built my layout, what now?

Im Currently building an exhibition layout and when its complete I hope to be able to exhibit it, but how do I go about this? being a frequent visitor to most exhibitions I'm lead believe that you have to be invited? so how do you go about getting known and being invited to events?

Cheers Joe

As you can see from the pic, its not there yet but well on the way!post-15776-0-56596300-1338665528_thumb.jpg

Hi Joe

The best way to get an invite is to make yourself known to the Exhibition Manager let him/her have a description of your layout that includes its size this should include the area you need to move around it, whether it is front or rear operated also make a difference, any idea of insurance requirements that you have. most exhibitions are planned a year or so in advance so this year they are looking to 2014 for layouts it maybe that one may have space for 2013 or if your lucky a drop out will need filling and they will contact you

Hope this helps

Mark

• RMweb Gold

First off it looks a nice layout :yahoo:

Have a look on the UKmodelshops directory and see if there are any local events you could send details to for next year, then try further afield. You may not get many responses but once you get to a few shows more invites should come in. Self promotion doesn't hurt at all and you can even try the bigger shows using the contact us detail on their website.

In your letter or email include,

A plan with dimensions of the layout and operator space plus viewing sides.

Travel costs. Is a van required or just fuel for your car? plus some sort of rough estimate for a 2 day show.

Pictures keep them around postcard size and add a link to any pics you have on a website such as this, (if not start a thread quick ;) ), as it's cheaper than printing loads.

Contact details.

They will then ask for any specific requirements such as socket numbers needed when they invite you.

Good luck :)

As a past exhibition manager, the above advice is pretty much spot on. The layouts that were most likely to get an invite from me were most often those that made my job easier, so if you can put together a little leaflet with all that sort of information and a few pictures on it. A ready written summary paragraph that describes the layout and can be cribbed to go straight in a show programme was particularly appreciated.

If you can get any interest from a magazine, "as featured in XYZ" as part of your information seems to work in your favour too.

I must say that photo must surely be an inducement. More photos on here would improve things as well. Most expo managers (and their touts) visit RMWeb (if they don't then they are not doing their job). However, the easiest route remains through a club membership (sadly) I'm pretty sure that is because a club has the infrastructure and experience so removes a lot of the unknown elements for an expo manager. Do a show on your own is a very big ask and risk - especially the bigger shows as they will be more demanding (from the punter's point of view and the show). It will help your position to be cheap - at least to start with. Making yourself known to be available to substitute at short notice. Once your layout gets recognised and applauded, then you will be in demand and you can start asking for realistic costs to be covered.

Another first show potentially is one of the RMWeb events, you will not have that club barrier to infiltrate and layouts are more selected on what they are rather than on who you are.

• RMweb Premium

Put your location onto your profile. There are quite a few Exhibition Managers that prowl this forum and if they knew where you were located they might contact you direct. The main way that I get layouts is by seeing them at other shows but I have also founbd several on RMWeb.

Jamie

I would advise looking for a smaller local event first, I'm no expert but I do think that the larger events could be more of a struggle for a first time man like yourself, However if you do want to start big I've got no problem with that. Is there an annal event like a village fête in your area? After all theres no rule that a Layout has to be taken to an exhibition for people to see it. I like what you've got so far when I first saw it I didn't notice that your yet to put the tracks in!

ScR

Good luck

I would advise looking for a smaller local event first, I'm no expert but I do think that the larger events could be more of a struggle for a first time man like yourself, However if you do want to start big I've got no problem with that. Is there an annal event like a village fête in your area? After all theres no rule that a Layout has to be taken to an exhibition for people to see it. I like what you've got so far when I first saw it I didn't notice that your yet to put the tracks in!

ScR

Good luck

Thats good advice. Although I've only exhibited on a few occasions, I helped out with a few people already on the circuit who needed help and got to meet other people and on a few occasions those other people have said so you'll bring a layout next year then... (even if they look as though their joking you can try your luck, and drop in 'well actually I've got this layout what do you think...' and from the photo above you'll find someone will have a punt on your layout.

There's a club not far from you in Mickleover which you may care to join. They run the odd exhibition or two.....

But this is often just the problem. Although many clubs do welcome outsiders to join (and I have no idea of Mickleover) they generally take no interest in outsiders offering their layouts at their shows. The local clubs tend to offer invitations to other clubs in a sort of swap "you can be invited to our show if you invite us to yours" Where as the larger shows tend to be much more mature in outlook and invite more on the quality of the layout. There definitely remains some of the club influence probably for the reasons above. There is also unsurprisingly some of the who you know influence. It is bound to be easier to invite an experienced exhibitor(s) than a novice even if little is known of the layout. As an example I bet Chris would get invites for any new layout simply based on the quality and showmanship already known for Cement Quay.

At the end of the day it is almost as much to do with you being prepared to join a club as the quality of your layout. If you join a club they will be as keen to promote your layout as any they already have (in theory at least).

Kenton do you speak from experience of exhibiting, of club membership, or from your impressions and ideas as an exhibition visitor?

I really do think your misgivings about 'club barriers' are more of a red herring likely to put the OP off the idea, than actual fact.

Paul RHB in particular has given a good plan for going into it 'cold' without an existing network of contacts. If the OP already knows people in different clubs, suggest using them as a route to contacting exhibition managers.

Kenton do you speak from experience of exhibiting, of club membership, or from your impressions and ideas as an exhibition visitor?

I really do think your misgivings about 'club barriers' are more of a red herring likely to put the OP off the idea, than actual fact.

A little of everything though with the caveat it is many (>10 years). I doubt from what I have seen more recently of the many expos I go to that much has changed and I doubt if the clubs have changed much either (though again experience of membership of 2 clubs is not a big sample). It is I think a fair comment that either clubs are for you or they are not and my dislike of them is based on clubs (not only model railway) tend to be very much like pubs - the topics of discussion can be nothing railway related and can become very sport or political. This results in either fitting in or not.

Of course if this is the type of environment you fit in with they are bound to be the best route in to exhibiting - as I have said above.

It is a simple fact that it is bound to be very difficult to get into exhibiting with the support of a club or a close association with another exhibitor who is prepared to have you as support for their layout. I come across very few layouts at shows that do not have either an obvious club support or are already well established modellers.

Exhibition managers cannot be blamed for this, as they cannot afford the risk of the unknown.

So if you like the idea of a club, by all means join one as the best route, if you don't then I still think lots of photos on the web and offering to show at an RMWeb event is the best route. If the layout is of quality I don't think you will find it that difficult to get invites. Exhibition managers are not daft, they know that punters to their shows want to see good layouts, and a variety of them.

But this is often just the problem. Although many clubs do welcome outsiders to join (and I have no idea of Mickleover) they generally take no interest in outsiders offering their layouts at their shows.

ISTR the last time I went to that particular show (before it moved), there was a piece in the programme asking for potential exhibitors to put their layouts forward, so I see no harm in the OP contacting them directly.

If you've never exhibited before, it might be worth helping someone else out just to get an idea of what's involved. And this might sound obvious, but do the ancillary aspects meet the grade...? I've been to too many shows that proclaim to be the largest in Shockingshire with 27 layouts, only to find half of them look like they've been dragged out of someone's loft and should have gone straight to the tip, or lack basics such as a lighting rig or are reliable enough to be operated for the whole show.

It is a while since I have exhibited a layout but I got the impression that there weren't enough new layouts for exhibition. Visitors tend to like to see new layouts rather than the same ones no matter how well they are modelled or operated.

How will it be transported? I recommend putting it in that vehicle and taking it for a drive and then re assemble and see what has come loose as in my experience something always does the first time you take it out.

Guest jim s-w

I would advise go to your local shows with a portfolio and ask to show it to the exhibition manager (burton rail fair would be ideal for you), offer to set the layout up at home so that they can see it working (doesn't matter how good it looks if it doesn't work). Also a track plan - they will need to know if it's going to be interesting to watch.

One further tip, while the above pic looks nice is it representative of what exhibition goers will actually see? Only show exhibition managers what they can expect their visitors to see, no point showing views that are impossible in this context - that's what forums are for.

With that in mind can you post a picture of the front of the layout as if it were at a show?

Cheers

Jim

Some really good advice here.

Just to add a few thoughts as I have exhibited many layouts over the years.

Firstly, it looks great so that's a really good start. I would strongly recommend taking it to a local event, not necessarily a model railway show. Every layout I have built or have worked on always seem to develop unforseen faults on the first show (and at many subsequent ones!). If you are at a low profile event then a breakdown doesn't matter and you are not under extreme pressure to fix it.

The last thing you want is to be under the layout with a soldering iron while impatient punters mutter about the layout not working!

Good advice about joining a club. They all want good local layouts from members, really cuts the cost of visiting layouts and gives you chance to be invited to another show.

Best of luck with this.

Jack

• RMweb Premium

I really do think Kenton is a little of track on his thoughts about clubs and exhibitions.

I have been until a few weeks ago a exhibition manager (some 20 plus years) and I can honestly say I never booked a layout on a tit for tat basis, that system went out with the ark as did club members putting up guests in there own homes to save the club hotel costs.

All layouts were and are booked on there merits and all layouts will have been seen by me or the assistant exhibition manger to ensure they ran as well as the looked.

The comment about club members more interested in sport or politics is also way of the mark, yes the said items are discussed but the discussions are mainly around railway subjects.

There is after all life beyond railways.

I would be interested to know if Kenton knows which exhibition is put on by Mickleover club

Eltel

All layouts were and are booked on there merits and all layouts will have been seen by me or the assistant exhibition manger to ensure they ran as well as the looked.

I agree with Eltel. Almost all visiting layouts in the exhibitions I attend have been booked by exhibition managers visiting other shows looking for layouts to come to them.

I don't know of a club though, that would not welcome a modeller to the standard that templeford has achieved, and in consequence use the layout in their show, would should act as springboard for other shows.

Jack

ScR

Good luck

The track is down but I'm yet to lay the floor on this building, so this is taken off the board, :)

• RMweb Premium

Although as mentioned by Kenton, there are layouts that are booked unseen, but these will usually be by modellers that have already had one or two previous layouts on the circuit and have a proven record of suitable quality. I admit that it doesn't happen often, but it is done.

Cheers,

Mick

Nice work on the EAFs Joe, especially the roof and electrodes. I don't know where you are laying your track but, before you commit yourself, I thought it worthwhile mentioning that EAFs would never be tapped into rail mounted ladles, there wouldn't even be a track in front of them as you've posed in the photo.

Archived