Β 

True Line Trains MP40-3C

This is addressed to anyone who has a TLT MP40-3C. I'd be interested to hear other users' thoughts on this state of the art model. At something over C$400 for the ESU DCC & Sound version, it is claimed as 'state of the art' but so far I've got very mixed feelings about mine.

It is a beautiful loco, crammed with detail (albeit that some of the detail is very fine and flimsy (one handrail fell off the moment it was placed on the track).

First problem - the snow plow is so low that it was actually lifting the front truck off the rails. I've temporarily removed it (will reposition it later) but I now find that the truck movement is quite stiff and the model will not negotiate even the slightest unevenness in the track. My Walthers, Atlas and Athearn locos all perform well on my track but the TLT can't make even half a circuit without derailing.

The other disappointment is that some of the sound functions are in the teens (crossing communication is f15 for instance) and my Digitrax system has only 12 functions. Does this mean that I have to upgrade to a newer, more sophisticated DCC system? Or is there a way round it?

I can't comment on the TLT loco (not my scale for one), but you might find that there is an upgrade for your DCC system. Otherwise there isn't a way around the lack of functions on the controller - that's all its software (actually firmware) is designed to handle.

Β 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

The newer Digitrax DT402 as opposed the the DT 400 or earlier throttles can operate functions above F12. If you have a DT400 then Digitrax were doing an upgrade option. Otherwise you will need to buy a DT402 but at least you do not have to change the whole system.

Β 

Ian

Archived