Lima Class 20s

• RMweb Premium

Evening all...

I was lucky enough today to pick up a Lima Tecnical Services liveried Class 20 for the rather good price of £25 (!). I have a pair of BRT liveried ones, with moulded handrails, but noticed this one has wire handrails along the bonnet, and different cab windows (flushglazed, and different side open). Which set me wondering, did Lima upgrade it at some point? At first I thought it might have been detailed but that seems unlikely, as it's not a repaint, or doesn't seem to be. I ask more out of curiosity than anything - like the BRT pair, I just always liked the Tech Services ones, and always wanted one when I was younger, but couldn't afford one, and at that price, it was too good to miss, even if it doesn't fit in with my usual era/region.

Cheers,

JDW

Guest 40-something

Could it be a Hornby one you picked up? If I remember correctly the Lima Tech Service 20's were done as a LImited Edition (for Hattons?) where as Hornby done them as a regular release.

• RMweb Premium

Good thought, but the chassis is certainly Lima (it says it on it - I checked before I wrote this!), and the box is a Lima one. Not sure about the body, that could be the reason - it's 20169, I'll maybe have a look on Google and see which of them did it.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

From looking closely at pics, it seems both companies have done a 20169, and this is a Lima chassis, with Hornby bodyshell.

Lima Tecnical Services liveried Class 20 was released as a pair for ? in 1993. 20169 was un-powered.

20 4821 1993 20092

20 4822 1993 20169 (Dummy) (un-powered)

Hornby released R2763 20169, from 2008 to 2010 with various mods, including a better motor?.

Lima Tecnical Services liveried Class 20 was released as a pair for ? in 1993. 20169 was un-powered.

20 4821 1993 20092

20 4822 1993 20169 (Dummy) (un-powered)

Hornby released R2763 20169, from 2008 to 2010 with various mods, including a better motor?.

These were made for Beaties from memory (I probably have the certificate for my pair somewhere if anyone is desperate for me to confirm this).

• RMweb Premium

These were made for Beaties from memory (I probably have the certificate for my pair somewhere if anyone is desperate for me to confirm this).

Yeah, I think you're right, I seem to remember that too now you mention it.

Guest 40-something

Could it be a Hornby one you picked up? If I remember correctly the Lima Tech Service 20's were done as a LImited Edition (for Hattons?) where as Hornby done them as a regular release.

Just googled this for my own curiosity, they were produced as a twin-set for Hattons & Greenyard Models as limited editions in 1993, 500 pairs were made.

Archived