RR&Co update to Silver/Gold

Hi RR&Co Gurus

I have Train controller 5.5 and am building a new layout. Now 5.5 really requires the use of at least 3 detectors in each block (bi directional) and I hear that the new version does not need them due to new features. Is that the case, what are the new feature that might impact that and is it worth laying out huge great wedges of cash for the newer version?

Are there any other "must have" goodies that I will kick myself if I do not get them? My intent is to have a pretty much fully automated main line layout with me doing a bit of fiddlin in a goods yard.

TIA

I'm on 5.8 and at present it does all I need, though I'm mainly interested in signalling rather than driving trains.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the ability to customise signal aspects etc, which is pretty much essential for a British layout, is not available in Silver. The "fiddle" that allows it in 5.8 (and possibly 5.5) is removed in v7 but Gold has added a "proper" symbol editor. Also I'm using a rather ancient PC at present (W98) which officially supports 5.8 but not v7.

• RMweb Gold

My only real operating experience has been with Gold..............I did a lot of experimenting with 5.8 but my decision to buy the the software and interface coincided with the release of 7.0.........so my input is from a fairly narrow base

If you havent already done so you should download the demo version of 7.0 (save your 5.8 files) and then off line you can explore for as long as you like the two different options (ignore Bronze it is essentially entry level and doesnt compare with 5.8).............and for 15 minutes at a time you can connect to your layout and check some of the new features.

Essentially Silver is an upgraded version of 5.8 whereas Gold has a number of really cool new features .The RR&co Forum has a PDF file you can download which summarises the differences between 5.8 and 7 silver and gold. The 7 manual has the sections that apply only to one option clearly marked. Both documents are worth reading before you spend what is, after all a lot of money. For myself I dont regret going for Gold (sorry Vancouver is hosting the Winter Olympics....these jingles stick) for my purposes it was absolutely worth every cent...............its packed full of features and options that have added a totally new dimension to my operating

To answer your general question you only need one occupancy detector per block with either Silver or Gold.......thats what I have and with the added bells and whistles you can completely control train movements within blocks. One of the big pluses of gold is the ability to change the composition of trains automatically .........I have routines where

[1] A train moves into a branch terminus, the engine uncouples, runs around the coaches, recouples and heads back to the terminus

[2] At the terminus the engine uncouples, a new engine moves in from a loco spur couples and after a selected interval heads

back to the branch

[3] Right now I am working on automatic shunt routines for the pick up goods

I dont think you can do this in Silver although you can of course do lots of shuttle routines. I have only scratched the surface and focussed on one particular aspect..........I am sure other users will weigh in with other neat features. Hopefully you will hear from TTG the RR&Co senior guru on this forum

Hope some of this helps....sorry if I sounded too enthusiastic (but I am)

Kind Regards

RR&CO Mega Pleb ain't no guru TTG here.

Thanks for the compliment John, but only a simple being.

Don't think I can add much to the postings already.

If I was in your situation then I would take the opportunity to go for Gold as you are starting out on a new layout. Of course money against what is required for the new layout will come into it. But if you are reusing parts from the old layout, the any available cash can be used to upgrade.

Interestingly Mr RR&CO on his web site has advised going from V5.X to silver then to Gold for some strange reason which to mean means extra expense but he uses the differences between V5.X and gold as a stumbling block and better to get to know silver first before upgrading to Gold. But this is to do with using existing layout files rather than a new build.

As I said, go for gold if the pennies allow it. The extra cost for the extra features are well worth it.

If you do need help there are plenty of users on here now who are only too willing to help if needed.

Regards

TTG

• RMweb Gold

RR&CO Mega Pleb ain't no guru TTG here.

Thanks for the compliment John, but only a simple being.

Interestingly Mr RR&CO on his web site has advised going from V5.X to silver then to Gold for some strange reason which to mean means extra expense but he uses the differences between V5.X and gold as a stumbling block and better to get to know silver first before upgrading to Gold. But this is to do with using existing layout files rather than a new build.

Regards

TTG

Its a well desrved compliment TTGsmile.gif

In his latest post Herr Freiwald recommends converting from 5.8 to Silver first even though you buy the Gold option (apparently you can do this) I guess this flattens the learning curve then once you have mastered silver you convert your existing software to Gold.

I must say I didnt I went straight to Gold the curve was steep but I got (and still receive ) a looad of help from both this forum and the RR&Co Forum

Regards

• RMweb Gold

We only use RR for signalling, no automatic workings (but next year the guru is going to come and visit and advise on this ! B) :) ), the biggest "must have" in gold has already been mentioned, the symbol editor to allow custom symbols, and again, as has been said "Go straight for gold" - if you can

Already packed and awaiting a slot time to visit. :)

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in responding, stuck on a train!

I will prob be going for the full Gold as I have been studying the manual and it seems to offer a huge advantage over 5.5 especially in block flexibility. I am attracted to the signalling as well although this will be secondary to automation initially.

Thanks for the advice!

Archived