New 7mm kit for Blanche, Linda, and Charles

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

EDM Models have just announced that they have been working with Peter Balderstone to produce a new etched kit of the Penrhyn Hunslet locos Blanche, Linda, and Charles which will have the option of the original 0-4-0 and the later Festiniog 2-4-0 version. It is hoped that they will be available at the Portmadoc show next May or the 7mm Narrow Gauge show at Burton upon Trent - however Paul wants me to stress that this isn't a fixed date and lots of things could happen between now and then.

At least this time Paul is working with someone he knows and is in the UK, unlike his Bagnall kit that was designed in South Africa and still needs work before it's in an acceptable state to be released.

To quote Paul from his email

A few things to be clear about though ??“

?· the date is a target, we aim to meet it but a lot could happen

?· there is no price yet

?· we??™re not taking advance reservations at this time

?· more details will follow over time but I am not answering zillions of e-mails in the meantime

No news on the Bagnall and L&B although progress is being made - learnt my lesson there, say nothing until it??™s a fact!

Further details are available on the EDM Models web site here http://www.ngtrains.com/sneakypeaky.htm

Anyone wanting further information should subscribe to the monthly newsletter as that is where further announcements will be made

As usual I must declare my interest here as I help Paul with his trade stand at shows

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Looks good, I do prefer them in original condition but they are one of the best conversions to a tender loco I have ever seen. Nice chassis too.

I understand that some/all(?) of the chassis design was Paul's contribution to the kit

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite locos, so I'll be looking forward to this. I hope 14mm gauge will be possible.

The kit will do 14mm & 16.5mm gauges when released. The image from underneath shows a final drive gear with a shoulder and grub screw to lock it to the axle. This test arrangement won't do 14mm as not only do the wheels have to move in a bit so do the eccentrics for the valve gear and the gear makes the gearbox too wide. We have some thinner gears which have to be glued or soldered to the axle which we will include in the released kit allowing the narrower gauge.

Paul Martin EDM Models

• 3 weeks later...

Heck! My tongue is hanging out - I've been in love with the real Blanche since I first met her as a (smallish) boy and I am 'orribly tempted. However it would mean a complete change of modelling direction and the missus would kill me.

But I am tempted, having seen those photos!!!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time for an update and hopefully a couple more photos

post-18-12658942536774_thumb.jpg

post-18-12658942648_thumb.jpg

This model of Linda is made from the last set of development etches and the final artwork, with a few minor changes and additions, is now with the etchers. Whilst it is the most complete of the prototypes it still lacks some of the detail castings as we haven??™t got them all from the casters yet. All appears to be on course for the launch at Porthmadog Show on 1st and 2nd May and at the 7mm NGA convention on the 8th May.

The kits will be produced in batches of 20. The first batch are reserved for over the counter sales at these shows rather than for mail order. If there are any of this batch left they will then be offered by mail order. The second batch will be available late June or early July.

The price is still not fixed as we await the costs from some of the bought in items but it's estimated to be around ??200. We are not taking reservations yet but will add something to our website soon

Furher details and a lot more photos here http://www.ngtrains.com/sneakypeaky.htm

Mike (on behalf of Paul Martin, EDM Models http://www.ngtrains.com/ )

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A further update as the new kit was displayed at the Small and Delightful exhibition on Saturday and this notice should answer some of the questions - copied below from an email from Paul Martin of EDM Models

Kit Release Update

When I first leaked the info about this forthcoming kit for Hunslet's Linda, Blanche or Charles did the masses enthuse about the kit? Did they order it in droves?

No, they said en masse, "does it come with the bucket?"

My reply now is, "of course it does!" as the link below shows http://www.ngtrains.com/sneakypeaky.htm#Bucket

There is more new information. .......

Availability

The first batch of 20 kits will be released at the Porthmadog Model Railway Exhibition on 1st & 2nd May and at the 7mm NGA convention on the 8th May. These will be available on a first come first served basis to retail customers. Reservations are not being accepted for this batch of kits.

We are hoping to arrange a bit of an event with the prototype and are keeping these kits so we have something to sell at the event. If you want one before anyone else you will have to turn up and buy one on the day.

Reservations

At this time we are not taking formal reservations for kits in the second batch but you can e-mail me with an expression of interest to paul-at-ngtrains. com [change the -at- to @ to make it work]. We will e-mail you a link to the ordering once we're ready and give you a head start on getting your order placed. The second batch will be available in July.

Price

We still haven't finally fixed the price but expect it to be in the £190 to £210 range

Bigger and better idiots

Tis said that you can't make anything idiot proof as the world is constantly developing bigger and better idiots. In the same vein it seems that no matter how I state the details of the kit someone is determined to misunderstand. So lets have another go.....

This is

* One kit

* which makes one model

* which can be Linda, Blanche or Charles

* which can be Charles at Penrhyn or Linda & Blanche in Penrhyn or Festiniog condition.

So its not one kit you can build three engines from and its not three separate kits

Skill Level

Whilst not wanting to put anyone off I need to point out this is a kit for the more advanced modeller as it requires above average soldering and metal forming skills

Hope that helps

Mike (on behalf of EDM Models)

• RMweb Premium

A further update as the new kit was displayed at the Small and Delightful exhibition on Saturday

And we all had a good drool over it; its fabulous, please form a queue...

Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

Time for some new pictures of the latest test build of Blanche (for Linda see above)

post-18-126744945158_thumb.jpg

post-18-126744946198_thumb.jpg

Remember that the first batch of kits will be available at Porthmadog 1/2 May and any left will be at the 7mm NG Ass'n exhibition at Burton 8 May

Mike (on behalf of EDM Models)

• 4 weeks later...

I had a quick look at York whilst having a chat at Port Wynnstay and my word it looked nice!

The combination of the two stands and products had me seriously thinking about a change to 7mm (although I don't think that the domestic management would be too impressed!)

J

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As promised, this kit was available at the Portmadoc show last weekend and selling well - in fact three were sold in the first ten minutes - I believe there is now a competition to see who completes their kit first :D

Some of the first batch were held back and will be on sale at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association event at Burton upon Trent on Saturday. The second batch of 20 will be available June/July but is already sold out to mail order customers who could not get to Portmadoc or Burton. It looks like future releases will come out at a higher price due to several suppliers increasing costs - perhaps £230 instead of £210.

Having looked in detail at the three display locos, it is not a kit for the beginner - although it comes with motor, wheels and gearbox, there are complications such as working inside valve gear to contend with. Paul has already had enquiries about 'ready to run' but the kit designer who built the display models shown above estimates that the loco takes about 200 hours to complete :O say £10 hour makes it a £2000 loco

Details of the Burton show are here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/13935-7mm-narrow-gauge-association-exhibition/

Mike

• RMweb Premium

More kits were sold at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association Show at Burton at the weekend and we also met some of our customers who had been first to buy them at Portmadoc the week before. They had all opened the box but not progressed much further :D One said that he wanted to read the instructions (on the loo?? :rolleyes: ) but all he could find was a shiny disc with a hole in :O

Next day we went to the Slim Gauge Circle where a customer enquired about returning a kit as he thought that it was a bit too complicated for him and he might not be able to do it justice. However I had spoken earlier to another guy who was enquiring about buying two kits - it turns out that he enjoys kit building so much that he does commissions but instead of charging an hourly rate he just asks for another kit in return. I introduced the two people together and instead of the original customer getting a refund he bought another kit for the other guy to build for him. Result!! :D

Mike

Archived