HD Railway DVD's

TheSnapper

At Warley, one of the video stands (Video125 perhaps?) was demonstrating a High Definition sampler DVD, which was quite something to behold. At the time, I didn't have a suitable TV, but my old one went pop a couple of weeks ago and I had to buy a new one, so now I'm interested. (.....also the reason I didn't have much to spend at the Reading Trade Show!).

Had a brief Google here at work, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if there are any Blu-Ray Railway titles available?

Cheers

Tim

Yes, Video125 have released a Eurostar Driver's Eye View from Brussels Midi to London St.Pancras International on both DVD and Blu-ray.

I think it is an excellent production, in 1080p full HD, running for 120 minutes and you can even read lineside signs when paused.

Chip

this is a question Ive been meaning to ask for a while, id love to see what could be done with archive footage.

Mike

Agreed, though it would only benefit film re-telecined with top end broadcast kit (not a camera pointing at a screen bodge as most cottage industry railway producers do). In the industry (the day job is working on HD) there is some debate as to whether 16mm (like Ivo Peters shot) will even come up to proper HD standard. With most amateur footage being shot on 8mm there would be no advantage other than the scratches and dust looking sharper if it was re-telecined with the best HD of gear.

35mm telecined to HD looks amazing, sadly apart from out-takes from feature films and newsreels (Pathe kept with 35mm long past the TV broadcasters went over to 16mm) there is very little footage.

Talking of 35mm, I'd love to see the Titfield Thunderbolt and Ladykillers remastered to 16x9 HD!

When it comes to electronic (video capture) format converting 625 line footage to HD (called upresing) does not improve the quality sadly so there's no advantage in doing that (it's only used when inserting archive taped footage into a predominently HD programme).

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, though it would only benefit film re-telecined with top end broadcast kit (not a camera pointing at a screen bodge as most cottage industry railway producers do). In the industry (the day job is working on HD) there is some debate as to whether 16mm (like Ivo Peters shot) will even come up to proper HD standard. With most amateur footage being shot on 8mm there would be no advantage other than the scratches and dust looking sharper if it was re-telecined with the best HD of gear.

35mm telecined to HD looks amazing, sadly apart from out-takes from feature films and newsreels (Pathe kept with 35mm long past the TV broadcasters went over to 16mm) there is very little footage.

Talking of 35mm, I'd love to see the Titfield Thunderbolt and Ladykillers remastered to 16x9 HD!

When it comes to electronic (video capture) format converting 625 line footage to HD (called upresing) does not improve the quality sadly so there's no advantage in doing that (it's only used when inserting archive taped footage into a predominently HD programme).

Id love to see Ivo peters footage released on HD, I dont even think they where released on DVD where they?

the steam on 35mm and diesels and electrics on 35mm would be the best I can think of for HD

Mike

A big chunk of the British Transport Films collection was shot in 35mm (eg, Elizabethan Express, Every Valley, Fully-Fitted Freight, John Betjeman Goes By Train, Terminus, etc, etc), as were other iconic documentary films like Night Mail.

The BFI has now released almost the entire BTF collection on DVD, and they've just started releasing some other parts of their back catalogue in Blu-ray: I guess if those sell reasonably well there's at least a sporting chance they'll re-release the BTFs in HD.

Incidentally, the other day I saw a schedule which showed the BFI was releasing on DVD the films of the LMS Film Unit -- can't remember when, but it was some way off. Personally, I've covered myself in froth already.

Paul

Archived