If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hi guys

Looking for some help with this one please.

I'd like to run Dominion of New Zealand (Bittern), Sir Nigel Gresley and Union of South Africa as they exist today using the detailed Hornby model.

However, as far as I can see no-one has made any of these locos in current form/colour scheme so can you recommend what you would do in order to achieve this?

Just to be clear:

For DoNZ I'm talking Garter blue with double tender

For SNG BR blue with black wheels and nameplate surround

For UoSA BR green with black wheels and nameplate surround

I'm by no means an accomplished modeller so would probably use a little man to help make any model changes but it's the changes I'm not sure I need to carry out...tender swaps, replacement nameplates or whatever.

I'm sure there's someone out there whose been round this already!

As ususal any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

I Know that Hornby are doing Bittern or DoNZ as a standard release with the double tender at some point in the next 12 or so months so I would hold off on doing that one.

If you want an easy job TMC do both SNG and UoSA in a Preserved condition. Their Sir Nigel is very good and mine sounds even better with sound. However they are not cheap approx £175.

Those are the easy options that you can go for.

I cant help much with regards to modifying R-T-R stock as its the wrong gauge for me.

Alistair

Thanks very much for your reply Alistair.

I'd forgotten all about TMC and having looked at SNG & UoSA on their website I think that's the way I'm going to go. If you don't mind me asking, whose sound did you use in your SNG and did TMC fit that before delivery?

The Hornby double tender Bittern is BR green without valances so not much help really.

Kind regards

Martin

The sound chip is a South west digital one recorded from UoSA before it went for overhaul. I fitted it myself as it was not a difficult job having fitted sound to quite a few locos before I went 0 gauge. I dare say that if you ordered the sound chips and got them sent to TMC they would happily fit them for you.

I did modify the tender cutting away all of the internal plastic and fitting a fine mesh with real coal glued on to it. I did this so I could fit a large 20x40mm speaker in to it so that it could be loud enough at exhibitions.

Bittern was green a couple of years ago and I think that is its 'Normal' preferred colour if I remember correctly.

TMC could also do DoNZ/Bittern but when I asked about it they were having trouble getting hold of the second tenders, the reason why I went for SNG, so you will have to wait either way until that model comes out to get the tender.

Alistair

Sorry if it's a bit late, just thought I'd try to give you a hand re the A4s

>I'd like to run Dominion of New Zealand (Bittern), Sir Nigel Gresley and Union of South Africa as they exist today using the detailed Hornby model.<

Do you mean 4492 DoNZ as she ran last year or 4464 Bittern as she currently is?

>For DoNZ I'm talking Garter blue with double tender<

Hornby's R2339 Mallard is probably the best base for this conversion, although you'll need a 1928 corridor tender w/streamlined top fairing. Fox Transfers do the name and numbers needed to finish this conversion. Scratch-building the second tender is currently the only way to go with this. If DoNZ you will need to get the silver numbers and lettering, and may well have to hand paint the chrome strip on the base of the loco and tender.

>For SNG BR blue with black wheels and nameplate surround

This is the toughest of the three, as Hornby have only produced the blue A4s with a single chimney. You're best shot would be to get the 'Rare Bird' train pack with 60024 Kingfisher and three teak coaches. This will need modifying with a double chimney. Again, Fox produces the necessary conversion parts (including record plaques)

>For UoSA BR Green with black wheels and nameplate surround<

This is a relatively easy conversion. Hornby's A4 #60011 Empire of India is the perfect candidate for this conversion, as she is a late crest, double chimney A4 with a 1928 tender. Fox have all the necessary parts, including the Springbok plate.

Fox also produce the essential overhead warning flashes, and the correct builders plates. The only other thing you'll need is some air brake pipes for the front and rear of the locos.

Hope the above has been helpful.

Hornby's R2339 Mallard is probably the best base for this conversion, although you'll need a 1928 corridor tender w/streamlined top fairing. Fox Transfers do the name and numbers needed to finish this conversion. Scratch-building the second tender is currently the only way to go with this. If DoNZ you will need to get the silver numbers and lettering, and may well have to hand paint the chrome strip on the base of the loco and tender.

Not quite as easy as that I am afraid. That particular model does represent Mallard in its current form accurately, but then is not wholly accurate for Bittern in its current form. Bittern retains the later addition access hatch below the nameplates on both sides that it gained in late LNER days, which that model of Mallard does not have.

Hornby have not yet managed to produce a garter blue A4 with the later access hatch arrangements, so you either need to do as I am intending for my 1949 era A4s; which is to add some etches of said missing hatches to garter blue Hornby Mallard or Kingfisher models; or pick a BR era A4 Hornby model and conduct a full repaint into Garter blue. I'll let you know how I get on with the etches I've commissioned for this purpose on my blog...!

Then of course, Bittern has on its valances currently, deliberately larger access hatches than that in its LNER days (and as such, seen on the Hornby model) for ease of maintenance. This was changed AFTER it was put back as 4464 Bittern mind, so the Hornby Mallard model would be correct in that respect for a representation of Bittern masquerading as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand.

However if you want a very good representation, then I agree absolutely; the Hornby Mallard is the way to go, albeit with a garter blue corridor tender, as 69843 has previously stated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies again guys.

Out of interest, what would then suggest to model Bittern as she is right now? I assume the same mods you'd need for when she was running as DoNZ?

Martin

As above in my last post - Then of course, Bittern has on its valances currently, deliberately larger access hatches than that in its LNER days (and as such, seen on the Hornby model) for ease of maintenance. This was changed AFTER it was put back as 4464 Bittern mind, so the Hornby Mallard model would be correct in that respect for a representation of Bittern masquerading as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand.

So the mods required for 4492 and 4464 are not the same if you want pinpoint accuracy in terms of the size of the access hatches on the valances.

If you want 4492, a Hornby Mallard paired to a corridor tender, with the later BR access hatches underneath the nameplates attached (as I am doing with my 1949 A4s - see here) and a second water carrier, painted to match and with the LNER coat of arms on each side, would be a decent and more or less accurate model.

Archived