Marcway turnout geometry

• RMweb Premium

I've planned out my layout (see "Kirkby Luneside" in the S&C Special Interest section) using Anyrail and code 75 Peco.

The medium radius Peco points and slips are at 36" nominal radius.

I will be building my layout using SMP track and Marcway points. I have templates for Peco products and I think I can get an equivalent by ringing Marcway.

Does anyone, to hand, know how Marcway 36" turnouts and slips (single and double) compare to the Peco product?

Thanks,

Jeff

It seems to me Jeff, that the beauty of having handmade pointwork is that you produce just about any track geometry you want without being constrained by what's in the Peco catalogue. When we designed our club layout, we wanted a large radius curve on the station side. If we had used Peco we would have had some very odd looking curve radius discontinuities. Instead a couple of members (myself included) decided to have a go at making our own points. Despite my lack of experience, the exercise has been a great success. I'm not saying you should make your own points, Jeff, just that you might want to think about doing something that those using Peco can't - bragging rights.

P1010004-5.jpg

P1010005-6.jpg

Good luck.

John

• RMweb Premium

Splendid stuff, John. Where were those photos taken - looks a very British layout for distant (from me) Quebec!!

Agree about the turnout philosophy, don't get me wrong. But I'm going for Marcway as a match for SMP track because I've too many other projects on the go and building points is something I'd rather defer!

All the best,

Jeff

We are in Quebec. The pictures were taken at The Great British Train Show in Brampton ON (6 hour drive!) this past April. There are just a few of us waving the flag but we try.

I understand you don't want to make your own points, my point was that you have vastly more flexibility with handmade/Marcway ones.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

I hope your efforts are appreciated! And only a 6 hour journey into Ontario!! Plenty of time to solder up some points? Lol.

Btw, are you a fan of Canadian Rock legends Rush?

Cheers,

Jeff

Does anyone, to hand, know how Marcway 36" turnouts and slips (single and double) compare to the Peco product?

Hi Jeff, The image below shows the Peco and Marcway 36 inc points. The angle at the V is identical. When it comes to Peco slips, their nominal radius is 24 inch, not 36 inch...

post-6680-0-59947500-1339340189.jpg

I would add that Peco slips have really very tight radii (without knowing the precise figure) and if such a thing is required on your layout get one that is much longer, and with larger radii - I imagine Marcway do them...for a price.

John

Whilst not clear what you mean by 36" radius I have added two examples to that provided by Coachman. The upper one fits the Marcway plan and is a 9ft switch with 1:5 crossing. The substitution radius is 54" and the smalest radius within the turnout is 26.2". This would be regarded as tight even for 00.

The lower turnout is a B6 which has as a minimum radius within the turnout of 34.5".post-6791-0-23414500-1339342104.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure but I think I read that on the bought version of anyrail they have a library for either SMP or C&L. You might want to investigate this as you would then be able to do your plan precisely. I'm still on the freeware version myself - I think the person who developed anyrail is a member of this forum so he may pick this up and comment. Try adding an anyrail tag to your post.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure but I think I read that on the bought version of anyrail they have a library for either SMP or C&L. You might want to investigate this as you would then be able to do your plan precisely. I'm still on the freeware version myself - I think the person who developed anyrail is a member of this forum so he may pick this up and comment. Try adding an anyrail tag to your post.

Thanks Colin. Just looked at my (full) version - there is a C+L library for O gauge, but not 00.

Cheers,

Jeff

Templates for the whole range of Marcway points and corssings etc (layout planners) are price £4.20 and well worth obtaining. With Peco Code 75 I personally would not go below the 5ft radius point. Having said that, I am testing various track systems. If you are okay with wiring (I'm not) then I would recommend Marcway, as this firm does some neat sweeping curved points and builds to order.

Strongly seconded. The Peco 'large' radius point is definitely the one to go for. Just large enough to represent a fairly tight point for a large locomotive able to get round six chains, at walking pace. Cut through the sleeper ties and you can put a very slight curve in it too which is useful.

[bee in bonnet] I refuse to believe it wouldn't be worth Peco's while just trying the market 'toe in the water' style by putting the rail components from this point onto 4mm scale point timbering using the same compromise found on SMP and CL of shortening the timbers by the 2.3mm missing from the gauge. If they can afford to tool up for the miniscule market of narrow gauge track, just a couple of new bases for existing rail components aren't going to kill them: more likely they would find a new line in profit. [/bib]

• RMweb Premium

Templates for the whole range of Marcway points and corssings etc (layout planners) are price £4.20 and well worth obtaining. With Peco Code 75 I personally would not go below the 5ft radius point. Having said that, I am testing various track systems. If you are okay with wiring (I'm not) then I would recommend Marcway, as this firm does some neat sweeping curved points and builds to order.

Thanks Larry.

I have a 2009 Marcway website with the templates priced at £3.99, so that doesn't seem too bad an inflationary increase. I will give them a ring this week and order a set.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just beware that the set of plans I purchased last year was missing several of their turnout styles. It only had the ones that existed when they took over SMP (or something like that). Also the amount of straight track coming off the points varies (longer or shorter) from the actual points, but the geometry is sound.

Disclaimer: Obviously they may have updated these since I bought them

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I did buy a couple of the Marcway turnout kits and having built them, then decided to not use them. Nothing wrong with them, I just built them for a crossover and then decided that it would make more sense to build the full crossover as one unit, rather than trying to line up two separate turnouts. Anyway, here are a couple of photos of one of them compared to a Peco long turnout; the Marcway one is slightly longer but that may be because I added a couple of extra sleepers in and even if that's not the case, you could always shorten them.

Pretty much a spot on match, so your Anyrail plan will be accurate enough.

PecoLongvsMarcway001.jpg

PecoLongvsMarcway002.jpg

Archived