Process for re-painting?

Hey I am new to this forum, though I have been collecting Hornby and Mehano products since I was 4 years old (12 years ago).

Recently I bought a Hornby Class 60 in Mainline aircraft blue for about 77 quid in mint condition and a few Hornby MK1 Sleeper coaches for around 99p each from ebay.

I have two questions.

1) I want to add the EWS beastie to my Class 60 so I want to know the process of applying the transfer and what tools would I need?

2) I want to re-paint the two coaches into BR maroon [as I got them in BR Blue lil' faded :( but runs well]

I again want to know the exact process of repainting eg. stripping, application of colour and do I need to seal it with a layer of gloss varnish??

Till now the only changes that I made to the coaches are changing the wheels, magnetic corridor connectors and adding a narrow tension lock coupling. So can anyone please help me with a detailed description on the re-painting and decal application process. I have to know ASAP as I live in Bangalore (India) so that I can order the tools (airbrush, paintbrush etc) from the UK.

Cheers...!

1) I want to add the EWS beastie to my Class 60 so I want to know the process of applying the transfer and what tools would I need?

To apply a transfer to a smooth area like a bodyside, first give the area a couple of coats of gloss varnish to give a good flat, smooth area to apply the transfer. Many modellers like Johnsons Klear (actually a brand of acrylic floor polish) for this job but the original formulation can be hard to find so any good gloss varnish will do.

Allow the varnish to dry thoroughly and then apply the transfer following the manufacturers instructions.

Allow the transfer to dry thoroughly and then seal it with another couple of coats of varnish. Satin or matt are probably better at this stage.

At this stage you may wish to add weathering if you like your locos to look "used" although this is entirely up to you.

You will probably find that the sheen of the varnish does not quite match the sheen of the original paint finish. This is easily remidied by airbrushing a couple of light coats of satin or matt varnish over the entire loco. If you do not have an airbrush (and they are quite useful) an aerosol can do the job. Different modellers have their own favourite brand. Personally I favour Testors Dullcote or Satincote. These should be applied on a dry day, prefferably with low humidity. Excess moisture in the air can cause a whitening in sprayed varnish known as "blooming".

If applying satin or matt varnish via spray, I would advise removing the mody from the chassis and removing the glazing from the body. The matting agents in matt or satin varnish can cause transparent components to fog.

Guest 40-something

You could try using T-Cut on the area where the transfer is to go, rub until you get a nice shiny finish. The varnish as Karhedron describes above.

To repaint your coaches first you need to strip them completely - handy with the Mk1 sleepers as the sides pop off. remove all existing decals (and silvered window frames if there) with wet n dry, then sand the whole sides with fine wet n dry. Give them a thorough wash and leave to dry.

Maroon should be undercoated with a red base, such as Halfords Oxide primer (I use that), when dry sand with fine wet n dry, wash and leave to dry.

Spray the bodysides with thin coats and build up slowly - I use Rover Damask Red from Halfords, seems to be a good match. Leave to dry and harden for a few days. Some poeple will gloss varnish the sides before applying the transfers, however when I use the above paint, you dont need varnish for the transfers.

Add the waist and cantrail lining, then the rest of the decals, varnish with a satin or matt varnish (I use Humbrol aerosols) and weather to suit!

Good luck and post your pictures!!!

Archived