Wydabridge

Rhys

Its hard to know when to shift from the planning to an actual layout thread. Probably when you start to build something.

First up the project summary.

I've been a member of the 2mm association for a couple of years, and have lurked while watching some amazing modeling which is a bit beyond me. I tend to lean towards the 'bodging and view from 2' brigade'. However I've been seduced into having a go at a finescale-ish layout. As for something a bit different I am also interested in GW broad guage in the 1890's. I've done the planning here on a different thread. The basic track (and layout) plan is

post-5037-0-39965100-1340011860_thumb.jpg

The plain tracks are broad gauge and the rest are mixed gauge. The station is based extremely loosely on Horrabridge with GWR broad gauge and LSWR 'narrow' gauge with running rights.

The plan is to use the ratio station and goods shed, with a scratchbuilt mill to follow. Overall size is intended to be 5' by 2', subject to change if I feel a different sized will work better visually.

I've now made a solid start with a Ratio goods shed. No tricks in the assembly (though its nice to go back to making plastic kits), and after messing arround with a few effects (which didn't quite work visually) I have fallen back on the painting instructions which seem to have worked OK. Well, it doesn't look completely daft. as far as i can tell living on the other side of the planet.

post-5037-0-39300000-1340011495_thumb.jpg

The colour discussion here was quite usefull, though I'm always wary of matching colours accurately from something that was mixed by hand with no accuarte standard measures. I know I can't mix the same shade twice with 30 years of practice at the bench. I still have to add the windows from the kit and start on the internal detailing. I'm currently pondering uisng miniature yellow LED's to simulate lamps on the inside.

And finally, just as a note of caution for tose of you who indulge at the workbench....

post-5037-0-72941500-1340011498_thumb.jpg

One of these is a fine Hawks bay red, the other is not.....

Rhys,

Sounds an very interesting project, from an very nice part of the world! Will be following with interest.

Please forgive my Ignorance if you have posted elsewhere, but did the Ratio Kit need any modifications to get the Broad Gauge track to run through?

Best Regards,

Chris.

Please forgive my Ignorance if you have posted elsewhere, but did the Ratio Kit need any modifications to get the Broad Gauge track to run through?

Best Regards,

Chris.

The opening (minus doors) is 23.5mm or 11'6".

Just a bit of finishing work this week. The doors and windows are in. I know that ratio does etched windows to replace the printed versions, but the local hobby shops out here in the colonies don't tend to stock such things.

post-5037-0-90734900-1340452183_thumb.jpg

For some odd reason the camera has picked out the colours under the awning in differnt shades, when in reality they are exactly the same to my eye.

I've added in a local lad earning a few pennys mopping the floors. I'll have to make some inward and outward goods packages to complete the scene.

Archived