Painting a backscene in acrylics...

Hoping someone can put me right.

I'm preparing to paint a backscene using acrylic paints.

The backscene is made from hardboard (shiny side on show) and primed using Homebase pure white primer.

The end result seems shinier than I'd anticipated and the acrylic paint doesn't take - forms droplets.

What's the best way forward to get the acrylic paint to "take". Is it re-prime with a different paint or sand down to give the acrylic paint a key.

Look forward to hearing the best way forward.

All the best, Andy

To get the best surface for painting I use Acrylic Gesso. It's a primer for artists, usually for priming canvases....

It gets REALLY flat!

And it has a wonderful "tooth".

If you're going to do it right, I would rather re-surface it than trying to sand the paint you have flat.....

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. Not sure how much I'd need as the backscene is over 20' in length. The pots of Gresso I've seen seem to be quite small and relatively pricey. Would love to give it a go for smaller backscenes though.

Wondering if a matt primer would be a more cost effective option?

Andy

I painted the backdrop for the railway museums gauge one layout.

It is 1.5 x 15 meters, 22.5 m2 of linoleum that had to be primed.....

I ended up using 5 liters of Gesso which I rolled on with a 18 cm foam roller, really rolled it out, as I only needed to get it primed and not fill any imperfections....

It wasn't so expensive, 5 x £15......

Of course you can use a matte primer, it will not have the tooth of the Gesso, but it will surely suffice.

Archived