chaz

Hello Chaz. Your modelling is excellent and everything seems so real. I like it.

Rod

Ramchester (which I think you are much involved with - yes?)  is not that far off - just needs weathering.

ATB 

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Two more from Wimborne...

post-9071-0-89618600-1510651415.jpg

...both of them in black and white. I had a very primitive little 127 camera and it wasn't until I bought my first SLR (a Pentax SV - bought with my earnings as a weekend hospital floor cleaner) that I took a colour picture. By then steam was long-gone from the ECML.

post-9071-0-49563600-1510651675.jpg

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 7

Dixon Chaz of Dock Green always brings a smile when I notice a new post to the forum so please keep going.

I will do my best but I don't have another show until March, and it's difficult to shoot pictures at home as I can't set up more than two boards at home (and even that is a challenge!). I have been mining my back catalogue of photos - Lightroom tells me that there are 4,766 snaps in the Dock Green folder. I will have a look through them - I'm sure that there will be a few worthy ones that I can post.

Here's one to tide you over....

post-9071-0-34379300-1510680245.jpg

My J50/3 - 68973 - brings a loaded coal train into the yard. Later the yard pilot will shunt the mineral wagons across to the lines in the foreground, where the estate loco can take them down the grade to the coal yard.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 7

What do I do about the colour of this otherwise excellent model?

post-9071-0-54263600-1510823346.jpg

I can only describe the colour as dark pink and I shudder when I see it. I could bury it under a thick layer of weathering but I did want it to run looking quite clean.

I am wondering if I can't use some careful masking and overspray the pink with something more to my taste? Obviously I could just overspray all the pink bits, including the lining, with a new colour, but if the masking is very careful I might be able to retain the lining or even leave a narrow red line next to the yellow. I'm not sure that ordinary masking tape would do this job - it often gives a "feathery" edge to paint panels when sprayed. 

Do you have a suggestion for a masking film or tape that will allow me to airbrush a colour accurately onto the model and retain the existing lining?

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Might l suggest one of the Tamiya masking tapes, that I've had some success with?  Mostly on aircraft and ship models admittedly, but l can see no reason they shouldn't work equally well on locos.

They do, l think, a low tack version, but you might have to seek out an aircraft modelling shop to find it.

I think a pale green would look fine on the loco, but you might need to spray an undercoat to 'kill' the pink!

Edited by Adams442T

Might l suggest one of the Tamiya masking tapes, that I've had some success with?  Mostly on aircraft and ship models admittedly, but l can see no reason they shouldn't work equally well on locos.

They do, l think, a low tack version, but you might have to seek out an aircraft modelling shop to find it.

I think a pale green would look fine on the loco, but you might need to spray an undercoat to 'kill' the pink!

Thanks for the suggestion - I will seek out some Tamika masking tapes. The model shop in Eastleigh stocks Tamiya acrylics so they are my first port of call....

As to colour I have always liked the old LSWR holly green, although you wouldn't describe that as pale.

EDIT - Just got back from a walk to the model shop in Eastleigh - they did have some Tamiya masking tapes including ones that will go round curves - just the job.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

including ones that will go round curves - just the job.

A tip for those Chaz - some fellow aircraft modellers have had problems with paint creep under them when used for their intended purpose straight from the roll. If you instead cut a piece off and stretch it gently, then burnish it down well, it does appear to work well. I've only used it once and it worked fine using it that way, but that might have been beginners luck!

Tamiya also now do sheets of the excellent material their rolls of tape are made from. This might even work better on the flat bunker and cab sides - if you make an accurate tracing of the areas & transfer that to the sheet it might be easier to work on, on a flat surface away from the model?

These are the sheets, if your local shop is a Tamiya stockist they should be able toget them I'd have thought...

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/5pc-masking-sheets-plain-tamiya-87130.html

HTH

Keith

A tip for those Chaz - some fellow aircraft modellers have had problems with paint creep under them when used for their intended purpose straight from the roll. If you instead cut a piece off and stretch it gently, then burnish it down well, it does appear to work well. I've only used it once and it worked fine using it that way, but that might have been beginners luck!

Tamiya also now do sheets of the excellent material their rolls of tape are made from. This might even work better on the flat bunker and cab sides - if you make an accurate tracing of the areas & transfer that to the sheet it might be easier to work on, on a flat surface away from the model?

These are the sheets, if your local shop is a Tamiya stockist they should be able toget them I'd have thought...

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/5pc-masking-sheets-plain-tamiya-87130.html

HTH

Keith

Thanks for the advice Keith. I will experiment on some other flat, painted model first, stretching and burnishing. I have a Heljan 4mm parcels car which I bought for the powered chassis for a conversion job. I have a feeling that the rail blue livery on its unwanted body shell might be about to be disappear under some test sprays with the Tamiya tapes.

Chaz

I find the tamiya tape excellent, burnished down with a cocktail stick, and then some maskol or equivalent to ensure gaps where tape meets are fully sealed.

The other tip with masking, (if I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!) is when spraying spray at 90 degress to the tape or over the tape on to the models, not towards the tape, if that makes sense) to avoid any creep under or build up along the tape.

Look forward to seeing it a new colour, the red is not to my taste either.

Leigh

How about Humbrol Maskol,  I had some years ago cannot remember for the life of me if I used it.  I often wondered if Copydex would do the same job.

I have used Maskol in the past for various jobs but I would not choose to use it when an accurate edge is required. I don't know whether Copydex would work as well - it might do so, being a rubber solution, presumable an effective barrier to paint.

Chaz

I have used Tamiya tape a lot for masking. Edges are problematic and need a little work to avoid ridges on paintwork, I find. Interesting to know there's sheet material available. I'll look out for that.

Meanwhile…

post-17766-0-73719300-1510915642_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-97332600-1510915655_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-48024000-1510915668_thumb.jpg

How much coal did you want, Chaz? =o)

• Like 9

Sorry, that was probably a bit too obscure

https://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/airbrush-equipment/accessories/frisk-film.html

Best

Simon

Not to me. I used Frisk film in great quantities when I was studying graphic design at art college so I am familiar with it. It's thicker than the Tamiya tapes and formulated to stick to paper or illustration board.

Chaz

• Like 1

I have used Tamiya tape a lot for masking. Edges are problematic and need a little work to avoid ridges on paintwork, I find. Interesting to know there's sheet material available. I'll look out for that.

Meanwhile…

attachicon.gifIMG_5138.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5139.JPG

How much coal did you want, Chaz? =o)

What a lovely meanwhile! OH MY! That looks rather special.

Coal? How about enough to nearly fill the chute with a few lumps scattered across the top of the tank and in the corners. Just enough to get back to Hornsey to replenish supplies. I'm thinking it would be nice to see the shape of the chute, rather than a great heap that would see the loco up to Doncaster! 

Chaz

• Like 2

That's a lovely looking loco you have built there Heather, almost made me want to go awol from my GWR buddies......

Martyn.

Yup, it sure is. I think the GNR 0-6-0s were some of the neatest, most well proportioned of the type. Give me a parallel boiler and a round topped firebox any day. 

Chaz

• Like 1

One other paint tip from the aircraft modelling world I forgot to mention last night Chaz, is that we often spray the edges of the masking tape with clear varnish before applying the colour coats, this hopefully seals the edges, and if there is any bleed under the tape it should be just the clear varnish.

Keith