O gauge sound decoder for GWR Pannier tanks

ChooChoo_Baloo

I am enquiring as to whether anyone knows if there are any sound decoders available on the market with sounds recorded from a Great Western Pannier tank (64xx, 74xx, 57xx etc.), for an O gauge model of those classes.

I am considering whether to buy either the 64xx or 74xx from Lion Heart Trains. The chap sells a DCC fitted version, but for the minute I am not ready for digital and so wish to go with the (cheaper too :O) ) analogue version. If anyone can advise me where to look for a suitable decoder for this class, that I could fit myself, then I'll be more inclined to stick with analogue to begin with knowing that I can easily progress onto digital in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Guest 838rapid

I have had the Howes version for the oo Pannier tank and recomend it,However I understand other suppliers are availible.

Howes.

South west Digital.

Hope this helps

I am enquiring as to whether anyone knows if there are any sound decoders available on the market with sounds recorded from a Great Western Pannier tank (64xx, 74xx, 57xx etc.), for an O gauge model of those classes.

I am considering whether to buy either the 64xx or 74xx from Lion Heart Trains. The chap sells a DCC fitted version, but for the minute I am not ready for digital and so wish to go with the (cheaper too :O) ) analogue version. If anyone can advise me where to look for a suitable decoder for this class, that I could fit myself, then I'll be more inclined to stick with analogue to begin with knowing that I can easily progress onto digital in the future.

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to wait, it might be as well to ask your question when you are about to purchase, as things are moving along currently on the DCCsound scene.

But, here's couple of thoughts that might help you towards a decision.

Lion Heart use a Zimo sound decoder with a custom sound project. As far as I know, this is only available from Lion Heart.

Zimo decoders of that type are less expensive than the ESU equivalent, so you will probably not be able to source another decoder for much less that the premium for the Lion Heart sound fitted version, which has, of course, been 'tuned' for their model. (I have not checked the prices of LH pannier options, so that might not be as clear cut).

You may not be ready for full DCC yet, but you will still be able to enjoy all the driiving sounds, any 'randomly gnerated' sounds, plus steam blow - offs, cylinder drain cocks opened, sychronised chuffs, automatic brake squeal, inertia and BEMF using normal or even PCM Analogue control.

And when you are ready, or get access to a DCC operated layout, you will be able to access the F key operated sounds and functions straigtht away.

Zimo have, arguably, the best motor control available, especially good at slow speeds. You would, I think, still benefit from this even on DC control.

As I said, just some thoughts you may not have considered. In the end, it's your money and your choice. The LH pannier is a fine model in any event.

Good luck with your choice.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I know its not an answer to the question you asked but I have a LH Pannier (Black 7404 in BR livery) with Sound and I'm delighted with it from the perspective of both sound and running qualities.

Chris

As a complet novice !!! When it comes to DCC, I too would like to get sounds for my loco,s, But as I run on analog DC is this possible or not.???

Can someone help please??

Richard

The lion heart sound is about the best steam sound I've heard. If you can stretch get the sound fitted version as said above you can use certain sound on DC and with a gaugemaster black box you can access the F functions.

At least when you do go to DCC you have the best sound option ready to go.

An after Market O gauge chip is now about £180 so the additional sound fitted lionheart

Might be the cheaper option in the long run.

Steve

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone.

I think on reflection I'll be going for Lionheart's DCC Sound fitted Pannier Tank and then go from there.

Having never owned any digital stock, can I ask peoples' preferences on DCC control system, or should that be another thread altogether??!! :dontknow: :nono:

As a complet novice !!! When it comes to DCC, I too would like to get sounds for my loco,s, But as I run on analog DC is this possible or not.???

Can someone help please??

Richard

Richard I was under the impression that true independant sound function control is only possible with digital.

For analogue you can buy anything from pre-recorded speaker systems (from Gaugemaster I think) to something like Gaugemaster's function box which enables you to control digital sound functions on dc powered track.

However being a newcomer to all this, I can't offer much other advise I'm afraid.

Guest 838rapid

You can get sounds on Dcc,the sounds you get are very basic and its done by having the controller on 2/3 power to max and reducing it to 1/2 it stops.

This is used on the earlier Hornby dcc sound locos and is sold as a factory setting.

On loc 3.5 it was cv 13 but on loc 4 I aint got a clue as have yet to buy one of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived