Caledonian Railway 10t Van - Basic Dimensions?

From the c1914 diagram book facsimile published by the CRA:

Diag 67 10T covered goods van with sliding doors:

Wheelbase 10'6"

Length over headstocks 18'6", over buffers 21'10"

Inner dimensions 17'10" x 7'1½"

Rail to roof height 11'2½", to top of 3'0"-long central sliding section 11'5â…›"

Tare 7T 18cwt

There were also two diagrams of "10 ton vans" with six wheels... I imagine that's not what you want though.

The SRPS has two 10T vans in their collection, 73007 and 73004. Someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to say whether these are to diag 67 or whether there was a further design between 1914 and 1923. They do not appear to have sliding roof sections.

The Rutland Railway Museum also lists a CR 10T van in their collection, which was latterly a platelayer's store van on a private quarry system, and the SVR lists LMS 302080 and 304543 as CR 10T vans at Kidderminster. Detail photos of some of these preserved wagons linked from here.

From the c1914 diagram book facsimile published by the CRA:

Diag 67 10T covered goods van with sliding doors:

Wheelbase 10'6"

Length over headstocks 18'6", over buffers 21'10"

Inner dimensions 17'10" x 7'1½"

Rail to roof height 11'2½", to top of 3'0"-long central sliding section 11'5â…›"

Tare 7T 18cwt

There were also two diagrams of "10 ton vans" with six wheels... I imagine that's not what you want though.

The SRPS has two 10T vans in their collection, 73007 and 73004. Someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to say whether these are to diag 67 or whether there was a further design between 1914 and 1923. They do not appear to have sliding roof sections.

The Rutland Railway Museum also lists a CR 10T van in their collection, which was latterly a platelayer's store van on a private quarry system, and the SVR lists LMS 302080 and 304543 as CR 10T vans at Kidderminster. Detail photos of some of these preserved wagons linked from here.

Thanks for the information Graham. The photos you link to on m-cw com are actually my own photos I have took of the Caledonian 10t Vans at Bo'ness and Severn Valley. Although I have direct access to the Severn Valley as I live in Kidderminster, I unfortunately don't have much time at the moment to go down to the SVR and measure either of the vans. From my knowledge having just looked at my photos I have of Bo'ness' 73007 and SVR's 304543, they would both seem be identical and would be of the diagram.

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Sorry to have linked you to your own photos!... I bet that was a bit disappointing. Thanks for posting them though, they are great for detail.

I have copies of the Jul 1964 and Sep 1982 MRC van drawings mentioned above - in fact they are the same drawing, by TL Jones, and are of the diag 67 van. (The Jul 1974 drawing is of a GSW 6T van). Anyway the Jones drawing looks nothing like the preserved examples you photographed with heavy timber diagonal outside framing. Instead it has plain-planked sliding doors and sides, the latter with diagonal iron strapping, planked ends with no ventilators, and a half-width sliding panel in the roof. There must have been a later design. Maybe this is what's in the Feb 1963 MRN, but I don't have a copy.

cheers

Graham

There is a Skinley drawing, which appears to be the same as the wagons preserved at Bo'ness. The only dimensions given are wheelbase 10' 9" and length over headstocks 18' 9". I think this is the drawing from which the late lamented Model Wagon Company made their whitemetal kit. The roof door version was earlier, and not so common -- they only had doors on one side, and needed to be turned on a wagon turntable. I think the Caledonian Railway Association may have a drawing available -- contact Alec Nicol the Sales Officer on http://www.crassoc.org.uk/

These CR vans were quite late -- the two at Bo'ness date from circa 1920.

Allan F

post-4979-0-32198900-1341096326_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hello Gareth If you send me your email address in a PM I can send a drawing of this van with all the dimensions on it

For the record its the late pattern diagram 67 van from about 1910 onwards the early pattern vans were more smooth sided with internal framing and date from about 1901 to 1910 both vans being on the same size 4 wheel chassis the 6 wheel van which has double doors per side and has the same style of framing is the diagram 80 van

I cant find a picture of my diagram 67 van but to give you some idea her is my diagram 80 6 wheel van scratch built in 00 using the Silhouette cutter

post-17847-0-69334300-1492440609_thumb.jpg

Cant find the original but I've cropped this from another picture, this is the second diagram 67 I've built still not quite finished as the roof is not yet attached just sat in place and it still needs buffers and couplings but it does give you some idea.

post-17847-0-35449400-1492443187.jpg

Archived