Rewheeling old Triang wagons

Good morning helpful people of the forum,

I have been asked by my girlfriend's Dad to try and get hold of some wheel bearing so he can replace the wheels on some very old Triang wagons he would like to run on his 00 (code 100) track. At the moment the wagons ride up over points.

I picked up some Romoford 2mm bearings as he already had some replacement Hornby pin point axle wheel sets - however, the models he has have what I can only describe as an open axel box (you can see the metal axel turning from the outside).

Are there any bearings out there that will fit into this hole (which looks about 4mm by eye) to allow modern wheels to be fitted?

They are 2 axel hopper wagons btw.

I have tried searching but to no avail, both on here and google - it seems rewheeling old coaches and locos is a lot more popular!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer - this is a bit out of my N gauge comfort zone!

'Model Rail' for May 2011 (P94) has a 'Top Tip' on how to do this, using one plain bearing and one top hat per axle. Fit a top hat bearing to one axlebox and secure with 'Milliput' or similar. Fit the wheelset and then slide the plain bearing in through the hole in the other axlebox. This is then secured in the same way The filler can be smoothed off to fill the holes. (Two plain bearings would probably do - just check the axle is central.) (The tophat 'brim' will come off - file or some just fall off!)

The axleboxes are bored to clear Tri-ang axles which are 2mm in diameter (at least the one to hand measures to 2mm). Theoretically the Hornby wheels should fit on the Tri-ang axle but some sort of spacers would be needed and there would still be the the rather poor Tri-ang axle bearings.

IIRC the hopper wagons have an oval axlebox 'slot', so the bearings need to be fitted to the top of this and the wheels checked to be all level.

• Like 1

I think Peco do some bearings that may work, though I haven't tried them.

The big problem with rewheeling Triang wagons is that the chassis are solid metal so difficult to spring the axle boxes apart to get the new wheelsets in - though on the non-bogie stock you could saw the chassis in half and glue it back together around the new w/s.

Alternatively - and I haven't tried this either - it may be possible to turn the old wheels down, either on a lathe or in a drill chuck.

• Like 1

To get the old wheels out ..you use a drift to punch the old axle through from one side out of the other...the wheels dropping of as the axle is pushed through ..the reverse is required for fitting the new ...ie. the new wheels must be taken off the axles ..the axles fed through and the wheels slid back on and re-gauged ...then as has been said ,the bearings fitted at the end..

Regards Trevor ........ :sungum:

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the Tri-ang wheelsets are in two halves one of which is free to turn on the axle. The axle should be drifted out from this side, to avoid having to force the axle splines (which fix the other wheel in place) right through the wheelset. It's not unknown for the axle to have rusted and the whole thing to be solid.

Peco 'Hardlon' bearings might be persuaded to fit, but probably would need the axlebox to be reamed out as they are larger in diameter. Peco used to make conversion sets for Tri-ang stock with nylon replacement wheels, but these are hard to find now.

Turning the original wheels down is possible, but care is needed and a slow speed to avoid melting the plastic.

Before starting any modifications to the underframe casting, it should be considered that cutting mazak is hard work due to the toughness of the material. Refitting the couplings might also be a problem.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...