Comet LMS Suburban bk third

thanks again Larry,

will get on and do that, in the J&E book it says these are M 20815-78 M (edit, should start at 20879m being d1979 "A")

it also says that these, D1964A has the 2 no smoking compartments next to the guards rather than the other end.

whats interesting is that there is a picture, plate 157 of a period 3 non corridor 1st in carmine, which has its numbers on the left hand side.

will also try and get a better shot next time, the last ones where taken in direct sun make it look bright red, all the shots ive taken so far doesnt show the colour in its true light, but it does look carmine in real life you'll have to trust me :)

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You have almost inspired me to think about warming up the very neglected airbrush. Weather mus improve first though.

It looks great; I especially like the door areas where your little paint 'fettle' has really created depth (if that's the right word). I bet you are also glad you did do those hinges as they really give the sides 'life'; one can almost expect a door to open and a 'little' someone to get off.

I suggest you look at the costs quoted on some professional coach builder's sites as you could make a business out of this. Some builders don't even mention costs so they must be like Harrods.

(Coach won't mind me suggesting this as he has retired and Mozzer would encourage you too). Apologies to all other pro' builders.

P @ 36E

• Like 1

thing is coachman and the like know what they are doing, im just piddling in the wind.

then again I havent decided how much I should charge him yet :)

its ok if youre doing this for a hobby but there is an awful lot of work and time involved if doing it for a business,

and you've got to strike a balance between doing it quick and rushing it.

I prefer to work quick and get frustrated when stopped by not knowing where something goes or not having the tools or materials to hand.

I know the person who Im building this is a keen coach enthusiast, something Im not, he knows the details but isnt too bothered about every fine bit being on the model, so sort of know the customer but Im trying to do more than he would expect.

so saying that, does anyone know on what window and where about the no smoking signs should be positioned please :) ive done the M numbers and will put a pic up soon.

and... if coachman, Ian rathbone or whoever did me a coach with wonky numbers like this id tell them to take it back and do it again :)

the camera never lies but it can be a bit harsh. need to get myself a better camera really as I cant get the colour looking correct with this digital equivilant of a box brownie.

dont know if the numbers are positioned correctley regards height etc but they are staying there :)

also changed the guards decals to modelmaster ones as they look a bit better than the first go.

post-27-0-33513600-1341869698_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-64480500-1341869724_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The coach is looking well Michael. Generally the BR no smoking red triangles went in the right-hand window towards the top, as did the blue first class labels, and so when a compartment was first class & no smoking, the red triangle went in the LH window. I said 'generally' as there were variations. I should also add that I am only talking ex LMS vehicles here.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

thanks Larry, Ill do that now as im just about to tidy up and then thats me for tonight, will hopefully get some pics of it on Dolgellau tommorrow night.

would have liked to have painted the interior but have ran out of paint. got a big case of paints in the club so itll give me something to do tommorrow night.

A' right der laa,

I'm not sure, but from the picture shouldn't there be another of those coach things to make up the set? Does that mean you're only half way through the job? :)

Edited by Tren
  • Like 2

he was talking of getting an LMS suburban composite , but I said lets see how I get on and if you like this one first.

I have seen a few photos of this train at Dolgellau with different coaches each time.

comet do this GWR one which is what I thought it was before Chris confirmed..

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/8/628

• Like 1

Yes, Mike, it's 63 ft-ish, post-war build and one that I wish someone made! The Comet one you've highlighted is a hybrid - the windows on a C75 are deeper than on a C66 and the body contours are different. I wouldn't like to guess how many of either breed were still around by 1962/63.

Cracking job on the brake second btw!

Chris

• Like 1

The 10-compartment non corridor third was 63' 0¾" X 8' 11", built to dia. C83.

EDIT : I was looking this info up while Chris above posted his entry. There was also a GWR Dia. E156 composite of pre-war design built in 1953 for the London Midland Region of BR. This was 59' 3½" X 8' 11".

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

The 10-compartment non corridor third was 63' 0¾" X 8' 11", built to dia. C83.

EDIT : I was looking this info up while Chris above posted his entry. There was also a GWR Dia. E156 composite of pre-war design built in 1953 for the London Midland Region of BR. This was 59' 3½" X 8' 11".

See <http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/coach/kits/gwr_coaches4.html> and scroll down to the bottom of that page.

Stan

• Like 1

thanks chaps.

George who im building it for is a big GWR coach fan, he's done quite a lot of research into coaches that ran into Dolgellau so ill have to ask him a bit more tonight as to what could be run on the layout.

I know he's a big fan of the sunshine stock but they are a bit beyond me at the moment as nice as they are.

he was really happy with the coach, he's taken it and will paint the interior, he's talked me into building a comet LMS suburban composite to go with it. so will do a thread on that when he gets it.

for now heres a shot of it on Dolgellau..

post-27-0-03489500-1341960342_thumb.jpg

and a clip of it running round behind a super D, not authenitic motive power but all that was available tonight

• Like 4

thank you Peter.

it was enjoyable to build, they are nice kits.

hope I build the next one a bit better, he also wants me to build a Hawksworth auto trailer in blood and custard after that for his own home layout! that will be a challenge, for one ive never used a bow pen.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/8/661

cheers Dave.

Peter, Dave what are you building?

forgot to mention, for transporting it as the comet box is too small now and at risk of knocking off door handles the Bachmann clear plastic boxes are ideal, one I used was from a Bachmann peak.

and can just see the no smoking triangles in the above pic :)

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

I got a push-pull conversion kit (LMS) from Comet, ages ago, and converted a Bachmann Suburban non-corridor but I am not happy with it and will redo it. The other is a Non-corridor Brake Third D1735 that I started, to couple with the push-pull. The roof is just sitting on as I have heaps to do before fitting it. After seeing your efforts and Coachman's, I admit to not being in the same class.

Peter

post-6942-0-33399700-1341972113_thumb.jpg

post-6942-0-19699400-1341972116.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Michael - it looks superb on the layout.

I'd contact Geoff at Comet about a coach 'stock box'. When you order all those coaches you are now going to build, a 'spare box' could be part of the package?

Keep up the great work.

Peter - nowt wrong with that coach lad; looks good to me.

P

Edited by Mallard60022