Kilminster

hoover50008

Thought it was time I posted a few pictures of my layout Kilminster.

Kilminster has been about 18 months in the making. Originally it was to be a station on a secondary route, however it was down graded to branchline status when the domestic authorities decided she was going to move her card making stuff in to the spare room as well!!

Situated in Somerset Kilminster is situated at the end of a branchline South of Taunton. Passenger services are usually in the hands of 45xx Prairie tanks or the occasional DMU. Freight is handled by the trusty Pannier tank or spare diesel off Taunton Shed.

post-6517-0-72478900-1341172313.jpg

Hymek 7093 arrives at Kilminster with the morning freight from Fairwater Yard.

post-6517-0-54948300-1341174103.jpg

4557 Arrives with the morning stopping dervice from Taunton

post-6517-0-20322500-1341176174.jpg

4557 Running in to Kilminster.

post-6517-0-09117500-1341174093.jpg

4557 runs in to the headshunt.

post-6517-0-06709400-1341174091.jpg

4557 Running around it's train.

post-6517-0-21863300-1341174098.jpg

4557 Awaits departure time for the return trip to Taunton.

post-6517-0-03213000-1341174089.jpg

On the way.

post-6517-0-03978700-1341174130.jpg

D5315 departs with the evening milk. This was it's last working before a serious accident saw it's premature withdrawl from service.

post-6517-0-28765700-1341174243.jpg

Time for a cup of tea and a chat.

post-6517-0-43318400-1341174132.jpg

Wnen I'm cleaning windows

post-6517-0-25438300-1341175475.jpg

A quiet moment in the coal yard.

Good that you've shared this, looks a lovely layout and well photogaphed: favourites are the one of the Hymek arriving, the Prairie departing looking from the bridge and the last shot of the goods yard. What's the size of the model, you look to have got a fair amount of non-railway scenery in there too, especially in the foreground which adds to the realism.

Look forward to seeing more,

Jon

Good that you've shared this, looks a lovely layout and well photogaphed: favourites are the one of the Hymek arriving, the Prairie departing looking from the bridge and the last shot of the goods yard. What's the size of the model, you look to have got a fair amount of non-railway scenery in there too, especially in the foreground which adds to the realism.

Look forward to seeing more,

Jon

Jon

Glad you like the layout. The scenic section is approx 11ft x 22 inches. There is a 4ft fiddle yard which is at right angles to the board making it L shaped. I agree that you can have to much railway and not enough scenery so most of the track is towards the rear of the boards which gives it a bit of depth.

There is still plenty to do so will update pictures as I go along.

Ian

That is a really nice layout. I like the little touches dotted around such as the sleepers from a dismantled headshunt, and the signalmans pushbike.

I could imagine myself spending a sunny afternoon on the platform seat watching the local trains come and go.

Nice little layout, I spent the first 25 years of my life near Chard so I'm familiar with the Taunton-Chard Junction line fairly well, and have several books on/around the subject. Although I'm very much a modern image modeller I always like to see a well executed project regardless of the scale or era and this ticks many boxes.

So what happened to D5315? dropped off the work bench... or tree's on the line?

Fantastic layout, nice to see some Steam / diesel transition.

Jack.

Jack

You jest but that was exactly what happened, it de-railed and fell off the fiddle yard board and bounced. Now it clicks jams up so an expensive lesson was learnt there which I have now rectified. Fit the back board to the fiddle yard!!. Hopefully it will be off to works for some attention soon.

Ian

Hi

OOP's regarding the '22

Cracking layout....really well portrayed

I am more into 'Modern Image' but like models/books on the Taunton/Yeovil area.

I grew up next to Langport West Station so saw a lot of Taunton ( & Yeovils best ).I definitely saw 22's & I am sure Hymeks on the branch, but on passenger not freight.However I was only 10 when the line closed & didn't see every train & they look good!!!!! which is the most important thing.

Look forward to following progress

Cheers Bill

Slow progress this week as I have been away.

The ballast that I tidied up has dried in ready for painting and likewise the coal stack.

The goods yard crane has been painted, weathered and planted.

One of the Dapol signals has been giving a bit of grief being reluctant to return to the danger position, this seems to be intermittent, I can't see anything obvious so will keep an eye on it.

Will try to get some pictures tommorrow but depends on if there is enough sunlight. Ha! Ha!

Ian

As promised here are a few more pictures of Kilmimster.

post-6517-0-11200800-1341659996.jpg

The Pannier Tank shunts box vans in the goods yard.

post-6517-0-54161700-1341659998.jpg

A general view of the small goods yard.

post-6517-0-16908600-1341660000.jpg

A sign of the times, a Class 122 single car DMU with awaits departure for Taunton.

post-6517-0-34019400-1341660002.jpg

The coal yard cats awake from their afternoon dozing.

Thought I would give you a bit more background information about Kilminster.

A lot of the layout is re-cycled from previous layouts, the base boards are from a previous exhibition layout Western Mill. Altough originally designed as an exhhibition layout Kilminster is now become a permanent home based layout,

The track is all Peco Code 100 as this too has been re-used and I was trying to keep the cost down, although really I would have liked to have used Code 75 track. All the points are live frog operated switched by Seep point motors using a stud and pencil method.

Kilminster is a DCC controlled from the front of the layout using a NCE power cab. The Dapol signals are also powered from the DCC bus.

The next major thing to do is to install some kind of lighting system as it does get a bit dark at times especially on these gloomy Summer days.

E

Lovely little layout you've got there. The scenery and weathering are very good.

I hope you don't mind me commenting that I think you've gone overboard with the ground discs.

post-6748-0-31476400-1342279761.jpg

The discs that I think aren't necessary I've ringed (boxed!?!)

The tall ringed signal could be cut down in height and the disc at its foot removed OR the disc could be kept and the ringed signal removed.

The points forming the crossovers between the loop to the main line would be worked from the signal box and the points to the coal siding would be worked by a hand lever.

Lovely little layout you've got there. The scenery and weathering are very good.

I hope you don't mind me commenting that I think you've gone overboard with the ground discs.

post-6748-0-31476400-1342279761.jpg

The discs that I think aren't necessary I've ringed (boxed!?!)

The tall ringed signal could be cut down in height and the disc at its foot removed OR the disc could be kept and the ringed signal removed.

The points forming the crossovers between the loop to the main line would be worked from the signal box and the points to the coal siding would be worked by a hand lever.

Keith

I'm glad you like the layout and thank you for your comments about the signalling which I tend to agree with.

Not being an expert in signalling I had sought advice from a signalman friend of mine and signalled as he suggested, however I agree that it seems over the top. I would have opted for hand points as well. The original concept was that all goods trains would arrive in to the loop and then shunt but I have since changed this and all trains arrive in the platform and shunt from there.

It is not easy to alter the height of the ring arm in the loop as it is a Dapol working signal. I wanted a Ring Arm as goods trains depart from the loop for the main which could not be done off a dummy, they would have to shunt back to the platform to depart otherwise.

E

• RMweb Gold

It is not easy to alter the height of the ring arm in the loop as it is a Dapol working signal. I wanted a Ring Arm as goods trains depart from the loop for the main which could not be done off a dummy, they would have to shunt back to the platform to depart otherwise.

E

Not sure where you got that idea from but it is incorrect - trains could just as easily depart under the control of a dummy onto a running line, and away, as they could under the control of a running signal and there were numerous places on the Western (let alone the rest of the railway) where exactly that happened. A running signal would however be normally provided at busier locations where such departures took place frequently such as the exit from a sorting sidings or marshalling yard and some of the larger goods depots or yards.

However I would think it usual where trains were departing from a dummy for there to be an Advanced Starting Signal but I can just as readily name places where that was not the case.

PS agree with Flying Signalman re the over use of dummies although the one on the right foreground could be justified and such examples did exist at some GW branch termini. The Siding Signal with the ringed arm really is too tall but I understand precisely why that is the case and in reality it isn't too far out of scale - but the arm should really be shortened to 3ft instead of 4ft (for which it is in any case slightly over scale length ;)

Keith

I'm glad you like the layout and thank you for your comments about the signalling which I tend to agree with.

Not being an expert in signalling I had sought advice from a signalman friend of mine and signalled as he suggested, however I agree that it seems over the top. I would have opted for hand points as well. The original concept was that all goods trains would arrive in to the loop and then shunt but I have since changed this and all trains arrive in the platform and shunt from there.

E

Mike

I think from your reply that there are many variations on a theme and that it is location specific.

I need to have a re-think on the signalling as I would like to make it as accurate as possible, as I said before this was on the advice of a signalman friend.

E

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I think from your reply that there are many variations on a theme and that it is location specific.

I need to have a re-think on the signalling as I would like to make it as accurate as possible, as I said before this was on the advice of a signalman friend.

E

There are indeed variations on a theme but some things boil down to the principles and practice used by a particular Railway or Region hence my sticking very firmly to the way the Western did things (although what Flying Signalman had already identified were fairly typical practice across the whole railway apart from an occasional Western variation I subsequently noted). If you like I can knock you out a 'typical Western signalling' sketch for your layout - all you need to do is name the period (because things changed over the years of course - but old stuff lasted a very long time!). Depending on how much is off stage you won't need many signals ;)

Mike

Thanks for your offer.

Kilminster is set in the 1950's/1960's.

I have removed most of the dummies now as per previous comments and the remaining signalling can be seen in the following pictures.

post-6517-0-21836800-1342361660.jpg

There is an advance starter that is located just before the tunnel mouth.

post-6517-0-37410700-1342361640.jpg

The home signal that controls the entrance to the station platform, with a dummy for shunting in to the loop.

post-6517-0-31968400-1342361642.jpg

At the other end there is a dummy that contols movements from the headshunt to the loop for running around.

post-6517-0-36514600-1342361647.jpg

This dummy contols movements from the goods yard back in to the loop.

post-6517-0-61337700-1342361634.jpg

The platfrom starter and Ring Arm with dummy in the loop.

Any advice will be appreciated.

E

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Thanks for your offer.

Kilminster is set in the 1950's/1960's.

I have removed most of the dummies now as per previous comments and the remaining signalling can be seen in the following pictures.

post-6517-0-21836800-1342361660.jpg

There is an advance starter that is located just before the tunnel mouth.

The home signal that controls the entrance to the station platform, with a dummy for shunting in to the loop.

At the other end there is a dummy that contols movements from the headshunt to the loop for running around.

post-6517-0-36514600-1342361647.jpg

This dummy contols movements from the goods yard back in to the loop.

The platfrom starter and Ring Arm with dummy in the loop.

Any advice will be appreciated.

E

Perfectly ok now. The only debatable point is using a running signal to control the exit from the loop/yard as I discussed previously and I think it is unusual in this situation (although not absolutely impossible it would definitely count as a rarity but it's your railway and you do at least have a signal which is a heck of a lot more than can be said of many layouts and all the other running signals are correct form for period in the right places - which is also a lot more than can be said for many layouts).

Perfectly ok now. The only debatable point is using a running signal to control the exit from the loop/yard as I discussed previously and I think it is unusual in this situation (although not absolutely impossible it would definitely count as a rarity but it's your railway and you do at least have a signal which is a heck of a lot more than can be said of many layouts and all the other running signals are correct form for period in the right places - which is also a lot more than can be said for many layouts).

Mike

Thank you for your help and advice.

E

• 1 month later...

Progress has been very slow over the "Summer"? what with work and everything else so Kilminster has taken a bit of a back seat. I have also started building a new layout for my son so the effort has been concentrated on that as well.

I plan to start the lighting unit for Kilminster next as the darker evenings are coming which will help and also create a bit of ambience.

E

• 1 year later...

Archived