Model Rail August 2012 No. 172

dibber25

A good and varied issue this time, I thought, with just a few matters arising. Bentley MRG's Wartime is bound to draw comparisons with Rowlands Castle and rightly so but did work really start in 2001 as we are told? If so, where has it been alll our lives?

Chris

Well I have seen it many times, read about it in Hornby mag, and stuck a Bedford tac bowser on it at a Bristol show, which went unnoticed for quite some hours!!

Quite refreshing to see an apology (for the copper pipe carrying electrical cable to garden shed). Everyone makes mistakes from time to time and it actually improves the quality of a magazine when it is able to admit it has got something wrong.

Chris,

Your comments in this issue regards Neil Young (who I am a big fan of by the way) made me think that perhaps a short article on famous musicians and the sort who are into model railways might be of interest. I am aware of Rod Stewart, Roger Daltrey and of course Pete Waterman.

Food for thought maybe.

Alan.

I'm not volunteering though !

Chris,

Your comments in this issue regards Neil Young (who I am a big fan of by the way) made me think that perhaps a short article on famous musicians and the sort who are into model railways might be of interest. I am aware of Rod Stewart, Roger Daltrey and of course Pete Waterman.

Food for thought maybe.

Alan.

I'm not volunteering though !

Keep watching - you never know. Most of the celebrities' layouts are of overseas prototypes, however, and I'm not sure how well they would go down with the MR readership.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris,

Not forgetting Trisonic, of this parish!

No one seems to have spotted the announcement amid the ads on page 142 that the next issue will be perfect bound.

Yep, there's always someone who'll 'shoot your fox'. I guess no one told the ad department it was supposed to be a surprise! At least perfect binding is only one of the changes.....

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

There's quite a bit about Neil's train interests in the biography, Shakey - not just the layout but also his Lionel involvement and the litigation surrounding the patents. I'm a big Neil fan as well and enjoyed Dibber25's mention in the new MR.

There's quite a bit about Neil's train interests in the biography, Shakey - not just the layout but also his Lionel involvement and the litigation surrounding the patents. I'm a big Neil fan as well and enjoyed Dibber25's mention in the new MR.

I've also read the biography, very interesting and a great insight into the man.

Alan.

I first came across the idea on a previous incarnation of this forum, which got me wondering where and when it was thought up? And who thought it up? Like many "established" techniques, the name of the originator may have become lost in the mists of time, and no reference was provided in the magazine.

Just idle curiosity.

I guess the author of the article doesn't know,either. Some of these things have been quoted and re-quoted so many times it is impossible to trace who dreamt up the original idea.

CHRIS LEIGH

To be honest, this was the first Model Rail I've bought, basically to see more of Polbrock. I was very impressed and read all of it, something i dont normally do with RM these days. So a big thumbs up from me and I'll be buying future issues, unless the "improvements" are a backward step.

Bentley MRG's Wartime is bound to draw comparisons with Rowlands Castle and rightly so but did work really start in 2001 as we are told? If so, where has it been all our lives?

Yes - work really did start in 2001. It didn't go to many shows in its early days as it was mainly a project for the younger members. It was only after the rebuild which saw the scenery upgraded and the layout converted to a continuous run that we took it out to other clubs' exhibitions. It must have been to a couple of dozen shows over the last few years although at the moment we don't have any outstanding invitations. We have also yet to receive any exhibitions as a result of the Model Rail article which is a shame as it was one of the main reasons for writing it!

As for the comparison with Rowlands Castle, that's praise indeed.

Geoff Endacott

Fair point, Chris.

I just wondered - possibly the more so as the author of the piece has recently seemed quite keen on the attribution of ideas to their originators - but essentially I wondered if it first came to attention on here (albeit in an earlier incarnation), because that's where I first saw it.

For me, though, the real master of static grass is Peter Ross of New Zealand, who had a seminal article in Model Railroader a few years back, where he sticks extra fibres onto fibres that have already been glued down.

In case anyone is wondering, you "mist" dilute glue over the existing fibres via an airbrush running at about 2 psi, then apply the second/third/whatever coat, using gradually lighter shades. Buildings and items which would not benefit from an application of fibres are protected with a simple paper mask placed against/around them.

[Edit: In case anyone is wondering about the "lateness" of my posts, I only picked up a copy of the issue today. I am not the best read of model railway magazines nowadays, and tend to dip in as and when. That's also background to my question - if hanging basket liner material was first promulgated elsewhere, then I probably wouldn't have known about it till it appeared on here.]

I'm going to be really controversial now, and say that fans of internet forums tend to think that the forum is/was the source of every great idea. In fact, many of these ideas have been around for a lot longer than the internet, its just that they used to get passed on face-to-face at clubs or shows so it took longer for them to spread. The downside of forums is that the ideas now spread so quickly that tracing the origin is near impossible. You might find the first person who mentioned it on the forum but where did he get the idea? As to the use of hanging basket liner, I think I first heard it from Barry Norman, in my garage when he came to photograph Black Dog Halt - that would have been 13/14 years ago.....

CHRIS LEIGH

I also made a comment on a factually poor response on turning tables, but no one has commented on that, so I presume it has been duly noted and accepted.

/quote

Sorry, I THOUGHT my comment might be viewed as controversial, but if not, fair enough.

I didn't comment about the turntables because:

1 I was at home and didn't have a copy of the mag to refer to, to find out what we had said.

2 I didn't write the response to the letter so I had no idea what had been said.

3 I have no experience of pushing turntables so I'm not in a position to comment. I have seen pictures where the man doing the pushing is clearly having a hard time but that is all.

CHRIS LEIGH

Now, a question about using basket liner material for grass:

I first came across the idea on a previous incarnation of this forum, which got me wondering where and when it was thought up? And who thought it up? Like many "established" techniques, the name of the originator may have become lost in the mists of time, and no reference was provided in the magazine.

Just idle curiosity.

I first tried some out around 2001, not sure where I got the idea, but found some by accident in a garden centre and thought 'what if?'.

I think it might be one of these things that many can lay claim too - not me I hasten to add, but it's one of those methods that's been around a lot longer than this forum. A lot of model makers are, or are married to gardeners - and as Chris L mentioned Barry Norman possibly used it as long as 13/14 years ago. As for using it under static grass, that's just something that happened when updating Combwich with newer materials; static grass is great over older style scenic bases like carpet underlay, hanging basket liner or dyed sawdust.

• 7 months later...

Archived