Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Indicators for blocks (live/dead) and points on a CP

MattWallace

Hi All,

I'm starting to work on the electrics for Blockwall Junction and I've designed the following control panel layout:

7486080036_a53733d3d0.jpg

The two sidings bottom right on the above image are isolated from the main layout just after the single slip dividing B and C and I am wondering how to illustrate this on the panel.

My plan at the moment is to have a bi-colour LED ( probably http://www.maplin.co.uk/bi-colour-led-35739 ) attached to a DPDT switch wired so that the current is "live" to the block and the LED is green when the switch is thrown one way and the current "dead" and LED red when thrown the other.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I went with amber off/on LEDs indicating routes (points and isolation) and red/green bi-colour LEDs for signal aspects. I believe you'll need both poles of the DPDT switch for the bi-colour LED, so you'll need to use relays to get that as well as the isolation.

Richard

Hi Matt

If you use a tri-colour LED (has two separate LEDs in one package, 3 leads, common cathode or common anode) you can still use a DPDT switch, one side to switch the feed to your isolated block, and the other side to switch power to the appropriate LED. No need for an extra relay. Maplin do tri-colour LEDs but if you look on eBay there are plenty of sources of Red/Green, probably cheaper. I am assuming you will be running these from a suitable dc supply. If you need more info or diagram please e-mail me.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Matt

If you use a tri-colour LED (has two separate LEDs in one package, 3 leads, common cathode or common anode) you can still use a DPDT switch, one side to switch the feed to your isolated block, and the other side to switch power to the appropriate LED. No need for an extra relay. Maplin do tri-colour LEDs but if you look on eBay there are plenty of sources of Red/Green, probably cheaper. I am assuming you will be running these from a suitable dc supply. If you need more info or diagram please e-mail me.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike - I've sent you a PM with my email address in it.

Richard - I'd not thought about using Amber to illustrate the routes - do you wire these to accessory switches on the points so that they are auto-illuminated when the route changes?

Mike - I hadn't thought about using a tri-colour. That would have fixed the issue I had with my signal switches, but I digress.

For points, I have one pole to throw the point and the other to illuminate the LED. However, I'm using half-wave AC and Tortoise point motors (their diagram 3, with 1 wire to each motor). If you're using centre sprung switches you'll need to use another switch, most likely the accessory switch on the motor, or additional components.

Matt

Thank you for your e-mail and apologies for the double post! Finger trouble! Richard's suggestion using amber or yellow LEDs for route indication is a good one. If you have an accessory switch fitted to the point you could use that to switch the LEDs providing it is not switching the frog polarity from the track supply. Feeding the LEDs from a 12V supply you could put 4 wired in series with a current limiting resistor along the route. Alternatively if you are using the switch to change frog polarity putting in a small DPCO relay could achieve the same result. I'll include the options in the diagrams I send you.

Cheers

Mike

Hi

My web sites Electrical page 2 has mimic panel LED wiring details which may be of use?

http://www.brian-lam...el Indications.

Thanks Brian,

I used your site a lot as a reference on the last attempt at a layout (it didn't get very far because I change my mind too often!) however for some reason it completely slipped my mind this time around! :(

I'll take a look tonight.

Matt

Archived