Members Day 2012 - what can I expect to see?

MattWallace

Hi all,

I've seen the proposed hall layout etc. from the main thread, however I'm wondering who the stalls are and what they will be selling.

I know that this is probably known to most on these forums, but for those of us who have only recently got (back) in to the hobby, can someone put a brief description of what I might be able to spend my money on when I get there on Saturday?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi all,

I've seen the proposed hall layout etc. from the main thread, however I'm wondering who the stalls are and what they will be selling.

I know that this is probably known to most on these forums, but for those of us who have only recently got (back) in to the hobby, can someone put a brief description of what I might be able to spend my money on when I get there on Saturday?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

I would guess that opportunities to buy things will be relatively limited, as this not the primary purpose of the event.

If you look at the event "poster" at the beginning in the Members' Day thread you will see that "trade support" is a relatively small element of the total package, as the day is more about meeting fellow members, admiring their handiwork and exchanging ideas and information.

Putting names to faces and having a good time [i hope]! Yes, there will be some trade support but also a selection of demonstrations and chances to ask questions of knowledgeable people.

As for spending money, form an orderly queue for the flapjacks. Oh, and did someone mention a bar?

Chris

I would guess that opportunities to buy things will be relatively limited, as this not the primary purpose of the event.

If you look at the event "poster" at the beginning in the Members' Day thread you will see that "trade support" is a relatively small element of the total package, as the day is more about meeting fellow members, admiring their handiwork and exchanging ideas and information.

Thanks, that's good to know

Putting names to faces and having a good time [i hope]! Yes, there will be some trade support but also a selection of demonstrations and chances to ask questions of knowledgeable people.

As for spending money, form an orderly queue for the flapjacks. Oh, and did someone mention a bar?

Chris

Flapjacks? I'm there... :D

(Won't be so much at the bar as I have to drive home afterwards... :( )

One of the most important things about the Members Day Matt, as David says, is about meeting folk. At normal exhibition the owners and operators are normally concentrating intently on entertaining the masses and don't have time for a chat. At members' Day it's more important to have a natter with someone who's interested on how something's achieved than to ensure the 10.15 runs to time.

I believe Trains4U will have a good selection of second hand items in addition to sundry RTR items. Ian Morton will have all manner of electrical and DCC bits and boxes of oddments. Definite rummage material!

One of the most important things about the Members Day Matt, as David says, is about meeting folk. At normal exhibition the owners and operators are normally concentrating intently on entertaining the masses and don't have time for a chat. At members' Day it's more important to have a natter with someone who's interested on how something's achieved than to ensure the 10.15 runs to time.

I believe Trains4U will have a good selection of second hand items in addition to sundry RTR items. Ian Morton will have all manner of electrical and DCC bits and boxes of oddments. Definite rummage material!

OK, thanks Andy

Hopefully you'll return home with a large sackfull of inspiration. Which costs nowt. If however you're desperate to spend money buy me tea and cake.

Awesome, inspiration (and advice as mentioned by Andy above!) is what I need right now for the scenics on Blockwall :)

Besides, I think my wife will be more than pleased if there's not much there to spend me money on... :O

and I'll have a range of DCC second hand items for sale as well as second hand models, track ad lots of little odd and sods etc.

All welcome for a chat, questions and if anything takes your fancy, do part with your cash.

How about - "Nothing like you've ever been to before"

Unless you've been to one before, that is.

There's a lot more talk than at a 'noprmal' exhibition. There's a lot more sharing of ideas. and people have a lot of time for you. (that at a normal show)

But a warning - you can't attend one of these events only once. It kinda becomes addictive.

(and if I could attend just one show a year, this would be it.)

• 5 months later...

I just realised that I never followed up on this thread!

Thanks to all who took the time to speak to me - for those who don't follow my layout, as a direct result of the members day I joined MERG and switched to DCC - I'm now working on packaging JMRI for the Raspberry Pi computer as a direct result of getting involved in this!

My only regret is that I didn't puchase the BR Blue class 20 that someone was selling on the day... :(

Thanks again,

Matt

Archived