Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend (7 & 8 July)

ChrisR

I haven't seen anything mentioned in any thread here but the Bluebell Railway is holding a Model Railway Weekend this coming weekend. The folowing text has been lifted from their web site (http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/model-railway-weekend/).

I will be there helping with Thornbury Hill at Sheffield Park so say 'Hi' if you're passing.

Chris

Model Railway Weekend

10.00am - 5.00pm Saturday & Sunday.

* Trade Stands and Layouts at Sheffield Park & Horsted Keynes Stations.

* Special events in the Locomotive and Carriage & Wagon workshops.

There is no additional charge to view any of the above. Normal platform and travel ticket prices apply.

Layouts

Horsted Keynes:

00 gauge

Wiston Pond

Appledore

Denton Road

Hornby DCC demonstration

N gauge

Plemont

Sussex N gauge Society

Graham Farrish demonstration layout

O gauge

The Tinplate Line

Lego

Brickish Association & Southern Lego Train Club

Sheffield Park:

OO gauge

Thornbury Hill

O gauge

O gauge Society layout

Lionel – Tinplate Southern Layout

Traders

Horsted Keynes:

Jonathan Clay

Simply Southern

75D Railway Books

Carriage & Wagon Models

Martell’s

Mainline & Maritime Books

Sheffield Park:

Model Mania

Signal Box

There will also be a book signing in the Shop at Sheffield Park by Christopher Vine the author of the Peter’s Railway Books.

Interesting weekend at the Bluebell. Thornbury Hill was at Sheffield Park in the loco maintenance shed over the pit at the far end away from the entrance (at least the pit was covered over!) next to Camelot sales and a (noisy) vintage O gauge layout. The Gauge 1 live steam was close to the entrance so we had a good view of movements whenever we passed outside. Thanks to the Bluebell for providing refreshments.

At times we had a lot of visitors viewing the layout but other times there was not a soul in the shed (apart from the operators). Thanks to the operating schedule I had 2 hours free on Sunday afternoon so I did manage to get to Horstead Keynes and see most of the other exhibits. At HK I did hear the station announcement advertising the exhibition when trains arrived but there was nothing audible at Sheffield Park - only A4 sized notices placed at intervals on the station.

Had a very interesting visit to Atlantic House to see the latest developments onthe Beachy Head project. Good luck with that.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

We had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend set up in the carriage workshop at Horsted Keynes. Despite the heavy rain we were fine in there and could see trains passing by through the door. A fairly steady flow of people both days through the door where we were, although quiet to start with at 10am.

Plenty of free tea in free mugs they gave us and a good lunch too.

They will be doing another weekend like this next year, so hopefully we will bring another layout along.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Actually Martin, it's longer than that if you count Bobs, Brian's Graham's, grahams and his dads layouts plus Mikes new Quarry line third rail layout he has now bought the timber for!(it should beready for BIF next year)!

Oh and rebuild of Fort Myers, Swanage or Exeter Central, Ssn Diego .......

Could see me to retirement at this rate!

Ian

We were going to come to this as we don't live too far away, and riding on a steam train is an unfulfilled ambition. However, as soon as the other half of the equation heard there were going to be model railway layouts there it was called off and we went to the park. Hmph...

Archived