NER Tennant 2-4-0

If I understand it correctly the construction relates to workshop practice at the time of construct. It would appear that the tanks were form around an angle iron skeleton, hence the right angle joins. When equipment for forming the curved section became available presumably a revised method of construction was adopted. I'm sure that others can provide fuller details.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be grateful for some help on the tender. I can't make any sense of the instructions. They say: 

"Bend the tank well sides (9&10). I have added "Bendy" lines on the inside to make it easier. This is a small radius (about 3mm)." 

This is all normal for an NER tender: the inner walls of the water tank, where they protrude ahead of the coal gate, have curved edges. So I assume that this is what the instructions are referring to with "tank well sides". However, things are complicated by the fact that parts 9 and 10 in the adjacent diagram, and in the list of parts, are the tender top flares and the tool box base. Presumably, what is meant is parts 4 and 5, referred to in the list of parts as the "coal well walls". OK, so just another mis-numbered part - par for the course with this kit. However, there are no "bendy" lines on the back of 4 and 5, just a single line, suggesting that a right angle has to be made. And the tender top has no curves on these leading corners either, again suggesting that a right angle should be made. And I notice that Mike has made up the part in question with right-angle bends in the photos on this thread. 

So my question is, why do the instructions say there should be a curve here when all the parts of the kit suggest there should be a right angle? If these tenders were basically a proto-version of the 3038, then I'd expect curves. 

Thanks a lot in advance! 

No one is infallible.  In this case I modified the instructions for the 3038 gallon (which is almost identical)  and in doing so forgot the removal of the reference to 'bendy' lines. However I must point out that both tank top and its overlay had square corners so it should have pretty clear that the front and sides would form a right angled bend. A simple query to me would have cleared it up more quickly.

ArthurK

Archived