IOW Tube Stock

witherbrow

Morning all

just doing a bit of research into a scenario im doing for railworks - does anybody know where the 483 units were stored before they moved down to the island railway?

i was going to take a stab and say old oak common but thats my limited knowledge lol

- kind regards - Ash

The 1938 Stock was transferred from Acton Works (LT) to Strawberry Hill via Wimbledon - then direct to Eastleigh I believe. There is a photo of the units sandwiched between two 2-EPB units and match wagons in the Island Rolling Stock book I think - I'll have to check

HTH

~ Gary

• RMweb Gold

As Gary mentions, Tube Trains on the Isle of Wight by Brian Hardy published by Capital Transport (ISBN 185414 276 3) covers in depth all the former London Underground stock used on the island since electrification.

To add to what Gary has already said, following the conversion work at Eastleigh Works, the 483s went to Fratton where they undertook crew training and test running, before transfer to the island.

Test running also took place with a couple of units on the Shepperton branch.

Stock that wasn't used in the conversion also ended up at Fratton before going for scrap.

HTH

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if it helps at all but a while back either here or elsewhere someone loaded up some photographs of the 483's being delivered to Fratton by rail and then being loaded onto lorries and onto the ferry with the old VEC and TIS cars coming back the other way. A forum search may find them.

Test running also took place with a couple of units on the Shepperton branch.

HTH

Some "interesting" speeds were reached as well (no OTMR :nono: ) but the ride could best be described as "lively" :O .

Max speed of the 38Ts was about 65mph. I was on a rail tour in about 1972 of the Met Line and that sort of speed was obtained down the bank between Chorleywood and Rickmansworth.

They may have gone a bit quicker on 750 volts though....

Archived