Dapol LNER Blue Mallard

drmditch

Firstly, an apology for this post. I am not an 'N' gauge modeller, nor do I like carping criticism of manufacturers.

However, I am a modeller of the LNER in 1946/7, and like to validate my research.

My (Hornby) Mallard is black with LNER on the tender, and a small no.22 on the cabside. As far as I can see from RCTS, Yeadon and Bonavia's History of the LNER (Vol3), this is correct for the last months of 1946 and all of 1947. I think that Mallard was never painted LNER Blue postwar.

In this months Railway Modeller, there is a lovely picture (and review) of the latest Dapol A4 Mallard in blue with no.22 on the cabside.

So my question is, have I got it wrong, or have Dapol 'cheated' a little in the interests of making a very nice model ?

Firstly, an apology for this post. I am not an 'N' gauge modeller, nor do I like carping criticism of manufacturers.

However, I am a modeller of the LNER in 1946/7, and like to validate my research.

My (Hornby) Mallard is black with LNER on the tender, and a small no.22 on the cabside. As far as I can see from RCTS, Yeadon and Bonavia's History of the LNER (Vol3), this is correct for the last months of 1946 and all of 1947. I think that Mallard was never painted LNER Blue postwar.

In this months Railway Modeller, there is a lovely picture (and review) of the latest Dapol A4 Mallard in blue with no.22 on the cabside.

So my question is, have I got it wrong, or have Dapol 'cheated' a little in the interests of making a very nice model ?

Mallard was definitely garter blue postwar. This can be confirmed by her presence in the 1948 exchange trials. She was in garter blue, as number 22 with British Railways on the tender.

Dapol have definitely made an error with LNER in shaded letters I believe, and 22 in gold, but the rest of the model is more or less correct for her 1947/48 form in garter blue.

EDIT: Ah, as LNER? I am unsure. RCTS seems to indicate she may have had LNER on her garter blue tender initially. It's a tricky one!

EDIT 2: Nope, I think you are right actually! RCTS 2A states:

"No.22 never had cut out metal letters "LNER" on its tender. It was the last engine to receive a general repair before the change to garter blue became fully effective...it was renumbered to 22...retained its wartime paint until January 1948....no.22 re-entered traffic in March 1948, its tender carried "British Railways" applied in silver paint..."

Page 118 of my edition.

So yes, you're absolutely spot on. Mallard never carried LNER on its tender as no.22 in garter blue.

For info- Mallard in Garter Blue lettered LNER is definitely a "pretty little thing" but NOT a representation of a livery she actually ran in. Mallard DID run in Garter Blue, but was not repainted until just before the 1948 locomotive exchanges. She was the ONLY A4 not to be repainted Garter Blue by the LNER (being the last one to get a repaint into black) and never ran in postwar blue lettered LNER.

Originally I believe she was to have been lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS. No doubt Dave will correct me if I'm wrong.

She is NOT an error, in exactly the same way that other manufacturers choose to issue locos in "might have been" liveries. Plenty will buy her for their showcases while purists (like me) will no doubt reletter the tender BRITISH RAILWAYS to conform to the photos of her in the exchanges.

All the very best

Les

Just checked my copy of 'the Book of the A4 Pacifics'

it reads:

13 June 1942 - Side valancing removed and wartime black livery

29 September 1946 - New number LNER No 22

5 March 1948 - Max cut-off changed to 75%, garter blue livery restored and new no BR E22

16 September 1949 - New number BR 60022 and BR blue livery

Is it possible she could have carried LNER in 1948?

As far as I'm aware Modellbahn Union's model will have black wheels and carry the number 60022, making it correct for September 1949 to March 1952, though that might have changed since the latest I heard.

The model I'm referring to is in unlined Garter blue with red wheels, lettered LNER and with cabside 22, which is a "might have been"

All the very best

Les

Archived