Class 40 handrails.

Can anyone throw any light on the approx date the original class 40s received their front nose

handrails. I have in mind D223 and have found a couple of images from the early 60s without

handrails which is the period I model but am wondering if they were fitted post August 68 in

which case I would remove them from the one I am building before proceeding with completion

of painting. A 1980s photo shows them fitted.

Hello Pete,

No great hurry as I`m in the UK and can`t do any modelling until I return. I intend to finish the

loco with small yellow panel. It would be nice to confirm they got them mid 60s or before the end

of steam as stated above. If not they will have to come off.

Many thanks.

Trevor.

It may not be as simple as you imagine as it could have been done ad hoc over several years and no one took records.....

Have you looked up old photos of D223 on Flicker (or another site)? I find that often is the best way of getting data on individual examples...

Cheers, Pete.

Edit: Correcting number, my bad.

• RMweb Premium

didn't find D233 in the transition, but raking through some Flickr favourites, the earliest pic of handrails i found is april 1966:

http://www.flickr.co...57603696416788/

any other pics of 40s in 1965 don't seem to have them, so maybe a starting point

as pete says, a dated photo of whatever loco you choose is a must, as i've spotted a few which didn't get handrails till early 70s.

depending on the date you choose to model, the livery will need to be confirmed too as not all locos will have gained full yellow ends at the same time

EDIT: to correct myself after noticing your intended period in the OP

The interest of all the above is appreciated. Firstly, the loco I am interested in is D223 (not 233) and I have made

searches via Google. I had already assumed that these relatively minor modifications would have been

carried out on maintenance visits to bring them in line with the spec. of the later versions.

I posted this enquiry in the hope that someone might have a photo in their collection.

I can complete the model without the handrails but with the small yellow warning panels as per the photo

I have seen.

Thanks for your efforts!

Trevor.

Further to the above I have been directed by PM to a photo of D223 at Polmadie 1960s complete with handrails and small panel.

I shall complete on that basis.

Thanks to all concerned for their interest.

Trevor.

• RMweb Premium

the loco I am interested in is D223 (not 233)

oops, brain fade on my part, sorry!

mind you it did mean i spent a while looking through some good photo sites!

glad you managed to find the info you needed, it's another detail variation i've learned about today :)

• RMweb Gold

Just for the record the first 10 Pilot Scheme EE 40's were not built with handrails. The subsequent disk headcode locos D210-324 were all built with handrails.

Edit: I am referring to the upper front bonnet handrails. The OP was not initially clear which handrails he was referring to.

• RMweb Gold

Just for the record the first 10 Pilot Scheme EE 40's were not built with handrails. The subsequent disk headcode locos D210-324 were all built with handrails.

But strange to relate I have a pic which I noted at the time I took it as D291 and it is without the handrails.

I'm pretty well convinced that the EE Type 4s when built did not have the vertical handrails Trevor, which were fitted at various times from circa 1965 onwards. D399 wasn't fitted from new as the photo of it deing rolled out new from Vulcan Foundry on 3rd September 1962 shows (Locomotives Illustrated No. 179 Oct-Nov 2009, pages 10 and 11).

Here's a photo of D223 at Litchfield Trent Valley, without a SYWP, clearly showing no sign of any handrails. Hopefully no breach of copyright is invoved as the 'Old Buffers' site appears to be no more.

Pete

post-214-0-85686400-1341926913_thumb.jpg

Hello Leander and stationmaster,

I also had found this photo and one similar to it hence my original enquiry. I had also found several other photos

of 40s of the same series originally unfitted and it appeared obvious that they were added later presumably on works visits.

Thanks for publishing the above and correcting the misleading statement above. Matters like this only become really

relevant when you come to build an example or custom something to a particular era etc., but accurate research is

what adds a great deal of interest.

Thanks both for your interest.

Trevor.

Archived