Good day one and all,

After waiting 2 years to move into our new home with Mrs Topsyde and myself I've finally managed to get a nice new loft hatch fitted with wooden stairs so that I have full access and the space to create a layout that I've had ideas rummaging around in my head all the while building up a fair collection of locos, wagons and carriages.

It will be based upon a fictional station setting with elements derived from the ECML and 2 stations in particular, Wakefield Westgate and Doncaster (I wss considering replicating Doncaster but the scratch build idea and process scares the bejeezus out of me :) ). As this house has the ECML just 200yards behind it I'm fairly enlightened by the traffic that runs up and down it both during the day and the night :)

Baseboards and being built at the moment but it will be on 2 levels with 2 helix one on either end to ensure can run a continuous loop but have both mainline passenger services and freight as well as the obligatory infrastructure treatment trains etc With 9mm ply and 2x1 beams to support the whole structure with the lower level being the fiddles yards (Must be able to hold 8ft-10ft passenger locos) and the upper level being the station and the fictional Infrastructure/TMD. The shape of the baseboards follows the wall line of the loft in a 'U' shape with a 14ft, 13ft and 12ft length for each side and 4ft width and each of the longer sides and 2ft on the last side (this will be countryside/scenic)

All this will be controlled by the LENZ Set 100, with the computer USB interface and all be DCC controlled in the end. I know this is going to take quite a lot of time for me to build but this is all part of the fun. I'm using Peco Code 100 and electrofrog points for the majority but I do have some set track points that I will be using for the fiddle yards to have shorter points and longer holding lines.

So I have a few photos of the loft as it is now so you can see where the first helix will be, each of them will be 2% gradient and 280mm climb in total so I can reach under neath the fault find on the wiring and access the fiddle yard.

A 6ft extension to the end of the 14ft side that will hold the first of the 2 helix with the packaged helix in place to give sense of scale

post-10994-0-18388700-1341412776_thumb.jpg

Further along the 14ft side - beams are in place the the upper section to be built

post-10994-0-16106900-1341412790_thumb.jpg

This will be the end of the 13ft side

post-10994-0-12056800-1341412804_thumb.jpg

and finally the end of the 12ft side that will host the final helix

post-10994-0-88737300-1341412817_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this will give you all a good idea of what I'm hoping to produce, of course all comments are welcome so do let me know what you think of the idea in general. I'll get track plans sorted as soon as I can finger out XTrckCad on this Mac of mine.

Thanks

Craig

Hi Steve, I'm certainly going to give it my best shot, I do not think it would be right to try the ECML without it. I have had a 'Practice Layout' in the previous house so I have got to grips with ballasting etc but a lot of what I do will be trial and error. So you will find I'll be on here asking for advice left, right and centre!

Well a semi pro-active day today. I've built the first of the 2 helix. I've yet got to put some droppers in place and fix the track down but after testing for clearances I'm more than happy with how this has gone. It does of course now mean I can test my joinery skills to ensure I have the upper level beams in the correct place :) After I have a level in place I'll then be fixing the helix in place with bolts from underneath the board.

Just about half way through:

post-10994-0-26082200-1341502452_thumb.jpg

..and finished and built.. I have to say the MRS kits are extremely well made and built easily from the comprehensive instructions.

post-10994-0-39372600-1341502467_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Craig

Thats looking great,

I remember watching BBC television Railwatch as a kid in the 80s and Ive always had a soft spot for the class 91s ever since.

I suppose Dapols Mk3 OHLE masts will be great for your project.

Check out Jim S W, Birmingham new street thread and Outon Road for some superb OHLE if you havent already.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve, yes I've had a good look at the OHLE on those and they do look superb. I thin for the main running lines I'll be using a lot of the Dapol masts to help but I'm looking at possibly scratch building some for in the station areas etc.

Well due to holidays (happily to see the NYMR on one of the days), and that dreaded work thing we all seem to have to do for our sins, I haven't had much time to work on the layout for a while. I have however finally got the baseboards down for the lower level fiddle yards. I've just been placing some track to check for distances and the like but I have a feeling getting the fiddle yard right is going to take a little time, (Any advise on this would be very much appreciated!). That and I cannot start on the upper level until the electricians been and fitted the under board lighting so I can see whats going on under there at all times :).

As for the Helices, I have realised that the one I have built will be better suited on the right hand side of the layout rather than where currently positioned. So the next one I build will be anti clockwise rather than the clockwise one I have built now. But it will suit things just fine.

Any way a quick set of photos to show process:

The helix that will move to the area in the 4th photo of the set.

post-10994-0-35479100-1343559570_thumb.jpg

A bit of playing with straights to gauge how far I can reach on the fiddle yards.

post-10994-0-10709600-1343559573_thumb.jpg

The Chimney corner - I think this is (at least on the upper level) where I will transition to a nice country side scene for one side - as most people say on here less is more :)

post-10994-0-50151500-1343559575_thumb.jpg

An finally the end of the run where the second helix will sit.

post-10994-0-68518000-1343559577_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading and I look forward to comments. I do however hope that I will be able to make more progress in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Craig G

• 3 weeks later...

Well after all I said - I was hoping for a proactive couple of weeks. Although life can be unfair at times and it's only been possible for a few hours work! I have started to test lay the fiddle yard but for me it's just not feeling 'right' and I have connected both of the helix to see what sort of space I'll really have, but I could do with some advise on the fiddle yard side of things. The up and down lines could do with being able to access 80% of the fiddle yards with the other 20% dedicated to either up or downline. Oh and the electrician is arriving in 2 weeks time so my light issues that I jhave to work with for the time being will be at an end :)

Any way on with the photos:

The counter clock helix. I've decided to sacrifice some layout space and to make the area to the left a modelling workspace and programming track to ad locos as I go and feed them onto the layout.

post-10994-0-95196000-1345027771_thumb.jpg

The bit of fiddle yard I'm not very happy with - any advise appreciated.

post-10994-0-49376300-1345027774_thumb.jpg

Going around the curve toward the second helix....

post-10994-0-39504300-1345027777_thumb.jpg

and finally the original helix that is clockwise I think those were planned well....

post-10994-0-11324600-1345027780_thumb.jpg

Any way as said any recommendations on the fiddle yard I really just want to get this right - I do not want ot be regretting it later in having restricted loco movements! - I know I cannot use the full 4tf depth as once the scenic side has been added above I'll only be able to reach at most 3ft - unless I mount the boards in such a way that I can pivot them on the wall - not sure my joinery skills are upto that though!

Thanks for looking

Craig G

Archived