Portable appliance testing

R A Watson

One subject which comes up regularly on this forum is the question of testing layout mains electrical systems and equipment and the relevant documentation required to comply with hall providers wishes.

The H S E has recently revised their guidance documentation and it can be downloaded free by following this link http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.pdf.

As most modern power units (transformer controllers) are double insulated, that is they have a plastic pin where the traditional earth pin is positioned, they are excempted from PAT requirements. Other fabricated mains fittings (lighting rigs etc) may require a regime of inspection and recording but should not be subject to mandatory indepent, and therefore costly, certification. Any circuits carrying 50volts or less are specifically excluded.

It is worth noting that the launch of the new guidance document was a joint presentation betwee the H S E and the B I A (British Insurance Association) whose representative stated that it as not the policy of his members (the insurance companies) to require PAT testing for portable equipment in their event policy documents.

I would advise before discussion starts on this topic the intending participants download and read the document.

I obtained the original information from an article in the magazine Managing Safely published by the British Safety Institute.

Many thanks for a post which totally clarifies the situation, as I understand it:-

Purchase a suitably marked to EC standards double insulated mains to low voltage unit (up to 50v), or units depending on your requirements, have them on the floor with connections from the LV output(s) up to the layout/lighting bar (LEDS?) and no problem?

'Simples!'

Seems very common sense to me.

• 4 weeks later...

One major advantage of PA Testing is that a qualified person will examine electrical equipment.

So my message is this; even though PAT is no longer mandated, please do visual exams regularly (every time before you switch it on) of all electrical equipment.

Cheers Godders

Thanks for posting this information.

The guidance seems a common sense distillation of the regulations which I've occasionally felt I had to wade through. It certainly makes possible a reduction in formal PA testing, and gets away from the sometimes alarmist selling of testing services that seems all too common.

I learnt long ago that electricity, like gas, needs to be treated with respect, part of which is simply checking the condition of plugs and wiring as part and parcel of connecting and using equipment. Much of this is plain old-fashioned common sense - or should be.

Colin

Archived