BRM August 2012

Dicky W

Good afternoon.

Here's the contents of the next issue, which will also include a 32-page Hattons supplemnt.

There's plenty of content from RMWebbers, including Mr Y's Keyhaven 'magnum opus', Black Rat creates a small diorama and Michael Russell gives tips on airbrush problems.

post-1481-0-60008900-1341501127_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-03677400-1341501165_thumb.jpg

As Chris has already posted, you can view the issue preview video here:

https://www.model-ra...vid=iIB35BERwyo

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

It was definitely not worth me doing that Latin O level!

Parvum opus.

Ego adepto mea tunicam...

roughly translated - small business, I'll get my coat......

At my school the A stream had to do Latin, I wanted to do woodwork and metal work instead. Oh well....

Jerry

I have to admit, I opted out of Latin, figuring it was probably useful of most use to doctors, gardeners and lawyers, and as I wanted to practice neither medicine, horticulture nor law, am mightily pleased that Google Translate is now my friend.

Good job I diverted from studying Egyptology at the last minute as Google doesn't appear to do hieroglyphs or Demotic...

• Administrators

Hi all,

My knowledge of latin is zero, so I'll have to stick to good old English, sorry.

Anyway, just to let you know that the digital version of the August issue is now available to download from Pocketmags or iTunes.

Enjoy all. I think you'll like this one...

Steve

• RMweb Premium

At my school the A stream had to do Latin, I wanted to do woodwork and metal work instead. Oh well....

Same for me - what a waste of time. With hindsight it would have been so much better to have been nearer the top of the 'B' stream than struggling along for 7 years at the very bottom of the 'A' stream and being entered for exams I had no chance of passing.

Back to the magazine - good to see David Wright as a contributor. He has been a demonstrator at our shows for a number of years and produces some superb models. He has also produced 2 'shows you how' DVDs - all detailed on his website Dovedale Models http://www.dovedalemodels.co.uk/

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Saw the proof at member's day (complete with typos still to be corrected, and Dickie W confirmed that they will be) and it is looking like another winning edition - I think that the RMWeb tie up is resulting in a much better mag, and if the quality continues, it will be on my must buy list.

I never was a BRM buyer, just didn't like it, but bought the last issue and was impressed enough to purchase this one - ONLINE! No hassle signing up/buying/delivery at all, well done. However I had a job to get the plastic bag off the PC (sorry typo)

Good to read too, I do like the format EXCEPT that I can see no way of retaining my personal copy for ever & a day. So I guess I'll just have to go and buy a paper copy as well.

Also the content is excellent, though I've only just skimmed through so far.

Stewart

• Administrators

Thanks for the comments so far.

Mickey - I couldn't agree more about Keyhaven. Without blowing smoke up Mr York's behind, the layout and images are simply stunning! I hope you like the rest of the magazine.

stewartingram - I love the idea of everyone buying BRM as a digital magazine and a printed version (!), however if you're viewing the digital BRM on a PC you can download an offline reader from the Pocketmags website (there's a graphic on the Pocketmags homepage) which will allow you to keep all issues stored on your computer. Unfortunately this service isn't available for iPads and Macs yet.

45156 - glad you liked the sneaky preview copy at the show.

Mike Bellamy - the David Wright article is superb. He's appearing in this issue and Part Two is in the September issue. I really hope to be using him more and more. His work is first class!

The magazine is on-sale in shops tomorrow, or to buy as a Digital Edition now: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/information/BRM_digital_editions

I hope you enjoy,

Steve

stewartingram - I love the idea of everyone buying BRM as a digital magazine and a printed version (!), however if you're viewing the digital BRM on a PC you can download an offline reader from the Pocketmags website (there's a graphic on the Pocketmags homepage) which will allow you to keep all issues stored on your computer. Unfortunately this service isn't available for iPads and Macs yet.

Steve

Thanks for the info there, somehow I missed that. No distrust or anything like that, but I keep all my mags (some back to 1948!) for reference, the idea of a digitally saved version appeals to me better than masses of paper, but if I don't store it myself, then I am relying on a 3rd party who might suddenly go AWOL (anyone remember Fotopic?).

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

It's no good - it has been sitting on the table since we got home from the day's shopping and all these comments have driven me to take a sneaky 'thumb-through' before I sit down for a proper read of it.

Most noticeably on first acquaintance is that it now feels different as well as looking different - an immediate impression that the publishers care enough about the mag to buy some better quality paper for it: daft point, well I think not because for the 'library browsers' in WHS etc it gives an immediate different impression, of quality. The editorial content format is now settling to a fairly consistent style and the 'blue boxes' aren't making such a harsh visual impact as in some previous efforts so they're not so jarring on the reader's eyes.

So much for 'never mind the content feel the paper etc' - because the important thing is the content andI think it has managed to build on the achievement of the July issue which is very encouraging because that gave over a lot of space to MI which in turn reduced the editorial content. This issue has redressed the balance and I'm hoping to see that continue because not only is there plenty of it but it's all good stuff. In fact it's far better than 'good stuff' with a lot of what is there (subject to getting down to a proper read later this evening) looking superb.

I think BRM is beginning to recapture some of the spirit, albeit in a different way, that made it so attractive in its early days and from which it seemed, sadly, to drift away from not so long back. Once I'm reassured of the consistency of content I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to renew my lapsed subscription. And it will be for the printed version - so that it can join every other issue from the first which occupy shelf space in my magazine library (where some titles stretch back over 50 years of issues, Stewart - above - is not alone ;) ).

Keep up the good work chaps!

The article that first caught my eye was that by Chris White who converts a Maunsell coach to an open second using Bill Bedford sides. The blow by blow account is full of useful techniques and wrinkles and copiously illustrated.

There's a 'but' coming, isn't there, Chris?

I'm afraid there is, gentle reader. Right at the end the author writes: "I then glazed the windows ..". HOW? Did he cut and fit individual panes to each aperture or apply a single strip of glazing material along each side and if so did he glue it to the brass or solder little brackets to the insides into which the glazing would slot? Did he use glass, clear plastic or cling film? Will we ever know?

Never mind, inmates, the rest of the articles appear to be complete and very good they are too. We're not quite there with the ads, though: the preview of Midland Railex by Dennis Lovett is surrounded by them and esily missed. One more push, chaps ...

Chris

[Edited to restore the paragraph that disappeared into cyberspace after I hit Post and nothing happened for nearly 10 minutes!]

Having read the article about building a bridge for Roger Daltrey, I was left wondering if there was any difficulty in getting the north side to face east and the east to face south?

RP

S'not a magnum opus; it's a 4' plank! ;)

Without trying to sound sycophantic, I really do like this layout, and I followed the construction on the old RM Web. However, the profile photo of Andy is much closer/larger in the magazine than on here...I'm not sure I'd want to bump into him in dark alley!

• RMweb Premium

"I then glazed the windows ..". HOW? Did he cut and fit individual panes to each aperture or apply a single strip of glazing material along each side and if so did he glue it to the brass or solder little brackets to the insides into which the glazing would slot? Did he use glass, clear plastic or cling film? Will we ever know?

"The simple things you see are all complicated"

The past two copies of BRM have been both informative and rather useful - it is a measure of the magazine's true worth that it isn't cut into pieces for filing but has been carefully placed in a binder and tagged for future reference.

The change of direction (and fortune) is both welcome and appreciated.

Thank you and keep up the good work

Tim

• RMweb Gold

"The simple things you see are all complicated"

I worked out how he did the windows but now it's come time to write it down in this post ... I can't explain.

On a more serious note, I was surprised in the bridge article that there wasn't really much about how they were actually built. Other than

that, though, it was a good issue, well worth the cover price. In fact I'd go so far as to say it was a Bargain.

Archived