BRM August 2012

Dicky W

• RMweb Premium

Mmmm, looks like this edition has been very popular. Got to the shops a bit late this month and none of the usual newsagents seem to have any copies left. Lots of RM, HM and MR though....

I was never a fan of BRM, but bought this issue following the excellent July edition and wasn't disappointed. I agree with your comments Chris. The other mags will need to up their game to compete - MR revamp from next month will be interesting to see. I'm not buying more than 2 of the main 4 railway mags each month, so for me something is going to give.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

S'not a magnum opus; it's a 4' plank! ;)

alright...but it's a friggin good 4' plank...that pic of Keyhaven on the contents page :O

Lookin' forward to get my copy...

EDIT: Now downloaded!

I have to say, another good issue.

My 6 month membership was in danger of being cut, what with the initial download issues etc, but now that has been sorted it works well and its nice to view it on the iPad.

A very nice article about Keyhaven from Andy ;) and also Neil's spread on the scenic treatment were both interesting as I learnt more about each model than I previously knew.

Now...if only we could download and save the issues... :D

• Administrators

Thanks for your comments everyone. Out of interest, what's your favourite article in the August issue?

Andy's layout feature on Keyhaven has been well received, as expected, but what else caught your eye?

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

I found the Constructing Model Buildings article the most useful. I've often considered using DAS and the article was spot on. Especially the context - I need to build a few semi-derelict buildings for my S&C layout.

I said I'd review the progress at BRM from July-September, and, to date, you are winning!

Jeff

• Administrators

Thanks Jeff. The 2nd part of that article is in the September issue (on-sale next week), which is a cracker. When you look at the finished building, compared to the real-life barn, you'll be gob-smacked at just how similar they are!

The September issue - which features a complete new Modelling Inspiration (including Pendon's Vale Scene!) - is arguably our best issue to date! In the office we were really happy with the July (Scenery Special + MI) and August issues, but we all to a man feel the September issue (Weathering Special + MI) is the best yet! I really hope you agree.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff. The 2nd part of that article is in the September issue (on-sale next week), which is a cracker. When you look at the finished building, compared to the real-life barn, you'll be gob-smacked at just how similar they are!

The September issue - which features a complete new Modelling Inspiration (including Pendon's Vale Scene!) - is arguably our best issue to date! In the office we were really happy with the July (Scenery Special + MI) and August issues, but we all to a man feel the September issue (Weathering Special + MI) is the best yet! I really hope you agree.

Steve

Hee hee, I can see why you are the Brand Editor! If you don't believe in your product, heaven help the rest!!

That aside, I must reiterate my previous comments. In my view, you've dragged BRM level with it's competitors and may be moving ahead. 6 months ago I wouldn't have touched the magazine. The task you have to ensure is to maintain the standard you are now setting. Plenty of practical articles, with high-quality photography, a smattering of good layouts and the involvement of Andy and the RMwebbers, should see you right!!

Jeff

• Administrators

"The task you have to ensure is to maintain the standard you are now setting. Plenty of practical articles, with high-quality photography, a smattering of good layouts and the involvement of Andy and the RMwebbers, should see you right!!"

You will LOVE the Sept issue then!

• Administrators

Just in case anyone hasn't picked up the August issue yet, click here to watch the preview video: http://bit.ly/MZ9mC9

To download it as a digital edition (for just £2.49), click here for information on what to do: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/information/BRM_digital_editions

We'll upload some sneak preview pictures from the September issue later this week.

Steve

Thanks for your comments everyone. Out of interest, what's your favourite article in the August issue?

Out of interest Steve, what scale/gauge and era do you model in?

G.

• Administrators

Hi Grahame,

I'm not a modeller. My background is in publishing - both as a magazine editor, website editor and then in marketing positions. I am blessed to be surrounded by modelling experts at BRM: John Emerson (editor) is an O gauge modeller, Richard Wilson (editorial assistant) is a OO gauge modeller and we all know Andy York esq.

We also have a large team of expert magazine contributors covering the most popular scales/gauges and eras, many of which are respected RMwebbers.

It's interesting having a 'non-modeller' as part of the BRM team as I ask the silly questions we often take for granted. It also means I can focus on magazine-craft and ultimately improving the magazine, our websites and exhibitions whilst the 'experts' focus on ensuring the magazine content (layouts, instruction and reviews) is first class.

Hopefully this is resulting in a better BRM magazine!

Oh, Andy is constantly threatening to throw down a modelling challenge to me. Be afraid...

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Great edition, one step closer to subscribing again. The only tiny downside for me was the bridge article that didn't actually mention (unless I missed it) how the bridges were built or what they were built out of. Due to the span, I'm guessing metal of some sort....

I am looking forward to picking up the September issue later this week, it looks great. I started to buy the BRM in July and was so impressed I got the August issue as well, so keep up the good work.

When my current subscription to another magazine runs out next month I will switch to BRM. I think I will be but one of many converts.

Jim

Archived