brake van at manea

Coldgunner

A very simple query really. I noticed today a disused brake van sitting next to the mainline near Manea. Whats the costs, processes and implications of preserving such an item? Never thought about doing such a thing before and know nothing about these things.

A very open question I know, but is something like that cheap to buy, move and restore?

A very simple query really. I noticed today a disused brake van sitting next to the mainline near Manea. Whats the costs, processes and implications of preserving such an item? Never thought about doing such a thing before and know nothing about these things.

A very open question I know, but is something like that cheap to buy, move and restore?

No two will be the same but as a general ball park rule for a small railway vehicle...

Buy = £ 3 figure Sum

Move = £ 4 figure Sum

Restore (to operational condition) = £ 5 figure Sum

One of the challenges with that one is it's on a disconnected siding next to a busy main line with no other obvious means of access (which is probably why it's still there and not scrapped or preserved already!) - so the 'move' portion of that could use up your 4 figure sum before getting it offsite!

Archived