Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

brake van at manea

Coldgunner

A very simple query really. I noticed today a disused brake van sitting next to the mainline near Manea. Whats the costs, processes and implications of preserving such an item? Never thought about doing such a thing before and know nothing about these things.

A very open question I know, but is something like that cheap to buy, move and restore?

A very simple query really. I noticed today a disused brake van sitting next to the mainline near Manea. Whats the costs, processes and implications of preserving such an item? Never thought about doing such a thing before and know nothing about these things.

A very open question I know, but is something like that cheap to buy, move and restore?

No two will be the same but as a general ball park rule for a small railway vehicle...

Buy = £ 3 figure Sum

Move = £ 4 figure Sum

Restore (to operational condition) = £ 5 figure Sum

One of the challenges with that one is it's on a disconnected siding next to a busy main line with no other obvious means of access (which is probably why it's still there and not scrapped or preserved already!) - so the 'move' portion of that could use up your 4 figure sum before getting it offsite!

Archived