Help with weathering advice for WC/BoB's

Hi everyone,

I have a number of Hornby Bullied light pacifics amongst my stock, & they are all in pristine 'ex-works' (ex-box) condition.

They all look lovely, but not at all truly representative of a proper working locomotive.

I would love to have a crack at weathering the vast majority of them, to blend in better on my layout.

There are a couple of 're-named & numbered' examples, which will escape the weathering process, as I'm just too fond of them.

I have only ever seen very few examples ( mostly TMC ) or the Hornby rebuilt , factory weathered 'Plymouth', & I simply can't justify the expense of the TMC models.

I have trawled through all of my books on the 'spam cans' but almost all of the pictures showing travel & work worn are in black & white.

Any colour plates only ever seem to feature wonderfully clean preserved locomotives.

I really don't want to muck up any of my locos, with an obviously poorly weathered job, which tends to look awful, or at least painted in the dark!

Can anyone recommend a particular book I can use as a decent reference work.

Thanks in advance everyone, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Rob 'westcountryman' Morgan

Search for photos of your particular locomotives on line (like Flicker) I bet you'll fine lots of colour photos of each loco. A subtle weathered model of an actual prototype looks so much better than a "plasticy" clean version imho. You might find this a good way to detail each one too.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

There even was one unrebuilt that had a huge patch of lighter green on one side presumably after the insulation under the streamlining caught fire. I am tmepted to do that one but art the risk people think I have done a bad paint job!!

Archived