Isle of Wight Railways 4th July 2012

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

Last Wednesday I bought myself an Island Day Rover which is excellent value for £14 and includes both the 'main line' and the steam railway. I started out from St Johns Road and took a ride down to Shanklin before returning to Smallbrook and changing onto the IWSR. I had intended to include the St Johns Road to Pier Head section but made a slight cock up on the timings so didn't manage it this time.

First up are a couple of snaps of St Johns Road just at the onset of one of this summer's obligatory showers. Mercifully this one was short and not too heavy.

post-9616-0-78719600-1341778190_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-15287300-1341778218_thumb.jpg

A quick turnaround at Shanklin.

post-9616-0-73632500-1341778269_thumb.jpg

I delberately went on Wednesday as it was a two-train day and my luck was in as 'Freshwater' and 'Calbourne' were the locos on duty. I hadn't ridden behind 'Calbourne' before so I was glad to have the opportunity. On my last visit I had managed lots of detail shots of 'Freshwater' in an attempt to sort out all the plumbing on the top of the firebox and boiler.

A new building is being put together at Smallbrook, a location which has suffered from a shortage of facilities.

post-9616-0-60730800-1341778513_thumb.jpg

Now some shots of 'Calbourne' and 'Freshwater'

Freshwater waiting to leave for Wootton

post-9616-0-16342800-1341778588_thumb.jpg

Calbourne leaving for Smallbrook

post-9616-0-06753300-1341778622_thumb.jpg

Freshwater leaves for Smallbrook

post-9616-0-39816700-1341778646.jpg

Calbourne sets off for Smallbrook

post-9616-0-98227800-1341778690_thumb.jpg

Noticeable that there are still no signs of any buildings being erected at Haven Street to keep stock under cover.

post-9616-0-18662900-1341778780_thumb.jpg

Visit finished by taking the last train of the day to Wootton where Debra was due to collect me. The rain started fairly lightly at first while waiting at Haven Street and it was still raining when I got to Wootton. There is now a pleasant collection of small buildings there which have all been turned out in Isle of White Central Railway colours.

post-9616-0-10708200-1341778993_thumb.jpg

The rain was getting heavier now but I managed one final shot of 'Calbourne' as she ran round the train.

post-9616-0-46149500-1341779054_thumb.jpg

We were then subject to a downpour of biblical proportions for the next hour so I was really glad that, for the most part, the day had stayed pleasant and dry.

David

"Noticeable that there are still no signs of any buildings being erected at Haven Street to keep stock under cover."

Watch this space, news soon, note on photo marking out pegs.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

"Noticeable that there are still no signs of any buildings being erected at Haven Street to keep stock under cover."

Pete

Yes, I noticed those pegs and wondered if they had any significance.

David

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18782171

"Three tourist attractions in Hampshire have been awarded a share of £3.7m from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).... a large shed to house more than 80 locomotives, carriages and wagons."

Chris

As noted the HLF grant has been awarded. The storage and display building will comprise a 2500 square metre structure with 4 tracks internally and a further track under an external lean-to. Under-cover accomodation for the equivalent of 20 bogie carriages, this will house all historic locomotives, carriages and wagons which are not in use along with the more important unrestored items. This will be a massive step forward for the Isle of Wight Steam Railway in conserving its stock and will vastly increase the public accessibility to its collection.

Construction will begin this year, hopefully opening to the public late 2013.

Pete

Construction of the new building should start in August around or after the main Island Steam show on the Bank holiday, they have just started clearing to begin works end of next month,

Some great photos there enjoyed many nice visits to the IWSR, sadly weathers not been that great last couple of years I have visited.

Ah, the Island Steam Show, complete with REAL ALE beer tent offering over 50 beers over the 4 day event.

You'll probably find me there serving behind the bar Sunday and Monday.

• RMweb Gold

The steam railway is delightful especially the coaches, but where I live you can hear the tube trains. It seems odd to be walking the dogs across the fields and hear a tube train with the sea in the background.

Don

PS. would you be the David Long who does the 2mm SR bake van kit?

• RMweb Premium

The steam railway is delightful especially the coaches, but where I live you can hear the tube trains. It seems odd to be walking the dogs across the fields and hear a tube train with the sea in the background.

Don

PS. would you be the David Long who does the 2mm SR bake van kit?

I am indeed, Don! Its even odder when I think that I could have travelled to work on the 1938 stock when it was on the Bakerloo line.

By the way (and off topic), any news on the RSU probe adaptions?

David

Been a fan of the island's railways/buses for many years now. I'll be down there for a trip on the Waverley from Yarmouth and the "Walk the Ventnor West branch" do in September, to mark the 60th(!) anniversary of it's closure. If I can manage few rides on the steam railway I will (as long as it's behind Calbourne! The last 3 visits have seen it either out of service or elswhere!)

In October I'll be there for the ever wonderful vintage bus running day from the bus museum in Newport. They always put a good show on with plenty of free bus rides despite the ever present threat of closure. :umbrage:

Always worth a visit.

JF

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder, this weekend 25th-28th august is the great IoWSR steam fair and BEER FESTIVAL. Over 50 real beers and ciders to sample.

I'll be there Sun and Mon happily serving beer..see you there?

Well, the Island Steam Show went well as did most of the beer! Loads of people on the trains...

Also an important an announcement coming this week in the Nat Pres site regarding a legacy the railway has been left and it will used for another exciting project.

No speculation please!

Yes, great news! At last the IoWSR will get a 'full set' of SR loco classes. This preserved railway truly is unique in British railway preservation and a real treasure.

I hope the bequest will pay for a new Marsh pattern boiler, and that she will eventually be turned out as either W1 'Medina', W2 'Yarmouth', W3 'Ryde' or W4 'Wroxall'. The alternative would be to name and number her at the end of the old sequence, as W37 and perhaps (appropriately) named 'Havenstreet'.

But either way, news of the last remaining E1 is going to the Island to be properly restored and returned to use, with the Ivatt 2-6-0 going back to the mainland would seem to indicate a win-win! Further discussion about it here: http://railways.nati...o-loan-esr.html

Yes, that's the deal. I had to wait until the press release before discussing further! I understand the legacy is in excess of £600k!! so will also pay for the restoration of the E1. BTW, there's also plans to rebuild the Ryde Pier Tram!

BTW, there's also plans to rebuild the Ryde Pier Tram!

I knew it, I knew it!! First an O2 and two Terriers, and now an E1. Maybe my complete IoW railway wish list may come true: Vintage petrol tram all the way from Esplanade to Pier Head - whoo-hoo! putt, putt, putt...

All we need now to complete this period dream is the restoration of PS Ryde (I travelled on her as a kid) and we are right back in, say, 1958. :) See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Ryde and http://www.shipspott....php?lid=167990 (unfortunately, she is in worse condition now)

The tram is likely to be fitted with a more modern diesel engine and transmission. The current Perkins P6 engine has literally rotted away and spares are hard to come by, I know, my bus has a Perkins!

Most of the tram will be new built to the original plans, and we also have the plans to build a trailer car, so more modern engine and gearbox will mean it can be driven from either end. At least this will enable it to be used in service rather than just being used on a short demo line or as a static exhibit.

...with the Ivatt 2-6-0 going back to the mainland would seem to indicate a win-win!

I was never keen on the Ivatts on the Island anyway. Hope they return the two Ivatt tanks too, much as I like these classes. The IoWSR's unique selling point is surely their own island railways' distinctiveness and genuine stock, not cluttering up the tracks with out-of-place mainland stuff.

Of course, to balance up the loco stud now, what they 'really' need is another O2! Ha ha, maybe the HLF will smile on them with the dosh for a replica O2 to replace W31 Chale, which sadly got away to the scappers in the early years of preservation.

But perchance this may not only be a dream... see Page 14 > Locomotives > Long-term Objective bullet point, of the IoWSR Strategic Vision document (June 2009): http://www.iwsteamra...raft.6-6-09.pdf

As you may be aware, there was a proposal to use Ivatt tanks on the Island in BR days. Without going into too much detail, a deal was done with the previous owners of the Ivatt locos for them to go to the IWSR to help fulfill what may have happened in those days.

The agreement is that the IWSR CANNOT sell or dispose of the locos, hence the proposed loan agreement with the ESR for the tender loco.

It would be nice to have another 02, but why, when there's other locos waiting in line to come back into service. It would be nice to have another train of bogie coaches which may be possible one day at the rate the IWSR is rebuilding chicken sheds into running vehicles, but then they run out of line to run them on and space to store them!

I was never keen on the Ivatts on the Island anyway. Hope they return the two Ivatt tanks too, much as I like these classes. The IoWSR's unique selling point is surely their own island railways' distinctiveness and genuine stock, not cluttering up the tracks with out-of-place mainland stuff

The IWSR has long relied on non-Island industrial designs for services so if anything the Ivatt's are an improvement - especially as BR 2MT's, close relatives of the class, were proposed to replace the O2's. At least one BR 2MT even made it as far as Eastleigh for the neccesary modifications!

Chris

Archived