Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Funny how localised these heavy falls of snow can be. Not a single flake on Craig's Bonsai either.

Well, I had to scrape the frost off the car this morning before heading off to work, so perhaps I tempted fate with all that mod-roc-ing last night? Don't worry - it'll be all thawed out by the weekend.

(Am I a mod or a rocker? Nope - I'm a mod-rocker :mosking: )

More progress on Gonerby tunnel...

post-16151-0-53574800-1430766842_thumb.jpg

Having given the mod-roc a good 24 hours to thoroughly harden, I'm now applying a coloured plaster mix (with PVA mixed in) to smooth out any imperfections and give a good base for the ground cover.

post-16151-0-10392600-1430766872_thumb.jpg

Done! Two colours to denote railway property (excavated cutting) and the natural lie of the adjacent land

post-16151-0-40049100-1430766904_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist posing a train for the camera, despite the incomplete state. Quite like this view, although it's from the inside of the layout so one that won't be seen from behind the barriers.

post-16151-0-24785100-1430767103_thumb.jpg

A little bit of telephoto to create a more dramatic view. Even though I say so myself, it seems to have ended up as quite a 'natural' look to the way the approach cutting and tunnel mouth fit in to the surrounding contours of the land...

post-16151-0-31303500-1430767141_thumb.jpg

As I can't do any more to the tunnel board now (awaiting the arrival of the scenery team!), I've turned my attentions to the MPD and a few details to add. Here is the walkway between the 'new' shed and the admin offices at the back of the old shed. Quite distinctive in photos so needs including. The ground cover will be applied subsequently to give a more blended in look.

post-16151-0-74765400-1430767245_thumb.jpg

A quick quiz for the next two. Any idea what this is going to be?

post-16151-0-41518900-1430767265_thumb.jpg

Not much to go on here admittedly! Think of a wooden built construction... (these are balsa pieces) ;)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

A stack of coal?

Yes! Well deduced that man...

post-16151-0-71696600-1430832038_thumb.jpg

Many loco depots had a coal stack, being a reserve of fuel should the regular supply get disrupted. The 1937 pic of Grantham shed taken off the top of new coaling tower shows two sizeable stacks either side of the goods loco road alongside the 'new shed'. I don't have the room to incorporate them quite in that configuration, so this is little more than a token impression, an important detail nonetheless. I've made it from some polystyrene packaging blocks, carved to a rough shape. The lower edges were built up of bigger lumps, dry-stone wall style, then the middle filled in.

post-16151-0-40782700-1430832058_thumb.jpg

Here it is with paint drying. It is my intention to liberally coat with PVA and stick a layer of real coal all over it but for now it gives a reasonable impression as it is.

Any more guesses on the timber structure? Dr G-F's was a good one (and the old coaling stage is on the 'to build' list) but incorrect...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

Oh good, plenty of coal for the expanding loco fleet!

Whilst the need to complete the Appleby-Frodingham hopper fleet and a couple of P2 locos is not forgotten, latest progress is with the fettling and fitting of resin castings for K2 bodies and tenders. The three "extra" tenders apparent in this picture won't be going spare by the way as there are three other GN locos that ought to be built in readiness for Grantham's "proper" debut in September. As one of these K2s is to be resident on Grantham, it will have to be decided whether it is to have one of the pre-1912 tenders with hand loops at the top front corners, or one of the post-1912 type with solid sidesheets. Perhaps 4479 will advise? It won't be possible to keep all of the tenders interchangeable as the three not for use behind the K2s will be plain black, those for the K2s requiring red lining.

So where do I go after this K2 episode? Everest perhaps?

post-3445-0-11714700-1430848202.jpgpost-3445-0-27055900-1430848220.jpg

• Like 15

Those look fantastic Graeme, a real tribute to your scratch building and casting skills!

Did you get my PM on 'the other forum' by the way?

Edited by Atso

Oh good, plenty of coal for the expanding loco fleet!

Whilst the need to complete the Appleby-Frodingham hopper fleet and a couple of P2 locos is not forgotten, latest progress is with the fettling and fitting of resin castings for K2 bodies and tenders. The three "extra" tenders apparent in this picture won't be going spare by the way as there are three other GN locos that ought to be built in readiness for Grantham's "proper" debut in September. As one of these K2s is to be resident on Grantham, it will have to be decided whether it is to have one of the pre-1912 tenders with hand loops at the top front corners, or one of the post-1912 type with solid sidesheets. Perhaps 4479 will advise? It won't be possible to keep all of the tenders interchangeable as the three not for use behind the K2s will be plain black, those for the K2s requiring red lining.

So where do I go after this K2 episode? Everest perhaps?

attachicon.gifSTA80010.JPGattachicon.gifSTA80011.JPG

Wow - that's awesome.

Erm... dunno re tender types. Not really my speciality. Cawston reckons that just one solitary K2 was allocated to Grantham in 1931 so most would have been working in from nearby depots such as Boston or Colwick. Just need to find a suitable piccie. There's just one in the Cawston book, of No. 4643 at Nottingham Victoria (solid sidesheets), plus a dramatic story concerning No.1680. Happy to be advised accordingly.

The bits of balsa - something with legs that straddles locos under repair?

Aha - well done John!

post-16151-0-47989700-1430852433_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-99949900-1430852454_thumb.jpg

Yes indeed. Often called 'shear legs' I'm not sure whether the arrangement at Grantham qualifies as such but it was certainly capable of lifting one end of a loco to get a wheelset out for repair. It's quite a distinctive feature of the depot, located as it was alongside the west (sunny) side of the 'new' shed.

post-16151-0-30564900-1430852499_thumb.jpg

An old Wills O4 is set to make the ultimate sacrifice and be partially dismembered for your delectation. Not sure whether I will ultimately display it in the lifted position (this is just mocked up for now) - it's quite heavy and, although the balsa takes the load, it might ultimately over-strain it or at least just look daft swaying about with every knock of the boards. Should be a nice cameo though, so near to the baseboard edge.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

As I remember most of the stations along the Grimsby to Boston line had coal "piles" arranged as you say with the outer wall built like a stone wall utilising large coal blocks.  Some "piles" would be well over 6' high and perhaps 25' square.   I cannot vouch for its veracity, but my Father told me when he was older that the government had mandated these coal piles as reserve stock after severe shortages during the winter of 1947.  I have a undersize representation on my layout but you are the only other person I have ever seen model this common feature.  

Some pix showing Grantham Loco's coal reserves (which were located at various sites at different times):

http://returntograntham.co.uk/loco-department-staff/footplatemens-photographs/

(scroll down to 6th image [and the 7th] - shows the neat, vertical walling-type construction; probably 1930s/40s - certainly before 'the 'angle' was laid out)

http://returntograntham.co.uk/loco-department-staff/new-photographs-from-the-1960s-at-the-loco/

(several views in April 1962, these were 'heaps' rather than carefully built stacks)

Edited by 61070
  • Like 1

John - Many, many thanks for pointing out these pages from the RTG website. I do visit it semi-regularly but, as new things are being added all the time then it's useful to be directed straight to the right place. I've just 'lost' myself in the last 20 minutes or so, scrolling through all those pictures, several of which will be of direct use over the coming months as I seek to add the vital details to the shed area of the layout. What a wonderful piece of work you and the team are doing in collating all this priceless historic information.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 507003,

As I noticed that you have been busy, I decided to get my Mountain out of the box.

Below is a picture of how it looked this morning. This is the first time it has seen daylight since the NEC last November. I lost my Modelling Mojo for the duration of the winter.

I have located all the components that need to be refitted to the body. It is too shiny for my liking, so I need to dull down the finish.

Tomorrow it will be in bits to rectify the pickups and the chassis extension which seems to have worn badly!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Paul 4475

Interesting project although I think it might have struggled to produce enough steam without a bigger firebox.

Looks wise, I think that it would look better with the green starting a bit further forward although it seems odd not to have the smokebox all black.

Interesting project although I think it might have struggled to produce enough steam without a bigger firebox.

Looks wise, I think that it would look better with the green starting a bit further forward although it seems odd not to have the smokebox all black.

Joe,

There is an awful amount of Firebox in the cab.  The firebox is a scale 11' 9" long.  The P2 was 10' 8"

In fact the space that is left for the crew is very small and if the Mountain had ever existed no doubt would have been very unpopular with the staff.

It looks like the plan was to avoid having to install larger turntables or fit existing 70' tables with extension rails.

As for the front, I too find it a strange look with a black smokebox of such a length.  Hopefully, the nameplates I've had made will change the appearance when they arrive

You'll have to visit the other forum to keep watch for further updates for now

Paul 4475

John - Many, many thanks for pointing out these pages from the RTG website. I do visit it semi-regularly but, as new things are being added all the time then it's useful to be directed straight to the right place. I've just 'lost' myself in the last 20 minutes or so, scrolling through all those pictures, several of which will be of direct use over the coming months as I seek to add the vital details to the shed area of the layout. What a wonderful piece of work you and the team are doing in collating all this priceless historic information.

Well it's very kind of you to say so, and pleasing that 'modelling inspiration' is being derived from the pictures.  Much of the content's down to the generosity of the folk who have entrusted us with their precious photos, and with their memories too of course.  There's also a steady 'drip-feed' of photos taken at Grantham appearing on the web more generally, as folk rediscover their old prints and negs.  Still plenty to go at to keep us out of mischief!      

• Like 1

Oh good, plenty of coal for the expanding loco fleet!Whilst the need to complete the Appleby-Frodingham hopper fleet and a couple of P2 locos is not forgotten, latest progress is with the fettling and fitting of resin castings for K2 bodies and tenders. The three "extra" tenders apparent in this picture won't be going spare by the way as there are three other GN locos that ought to be built in readiness for Grantham's "proper" debut in September. As one of these K2s is to be resident on Grantham, it will have to be decided whether it is to have one of the pre-1912 tenders with hand loops at the top front corners, or one of the post-1912 type with solid sidesheets. Perhaps 4479 will advise? It won't be possible to keep all of the tenders interchangeable as the three not for use behind the K2s will be plain black, those for the K2s requiring red lining.

Graeme,

In an idle moment (waiting for wife and daughter to get ready to go out), I had a look for photographs of the K2 allocated at Grantham in the thirties. It turns out the loco concerned is 4639, which was originally the last Gresley K1 built. By the time is was at Grantham it had been rebuilt as a K2, including having its frames lengthened. Mind you, you can still spot its K1 heritage from the position of the motion brackets. All the photo's as a K1 show the tender to have the hand hole you have refer to. The other photo's I've found show it later in life, including with the side window cab, the tender still has the hand hole. Ironically, this loco finished up at Colwick when it was swapped with the Thompson K1 rebuild of the K4.

Paul 4475

I don't know, I did more digging and now have pictures of 4639 with a tender without hand holes. Worse still checking Yeadon's register, the locomotive was still a K1 when at Grantham between 14/6/32 and 26/12/35. It was released from Doncaster as a K2 on 7/12/35. It could have been at Grantham as a K2 for 18 days?

Time to stretch the Modellers Licence again!!!!!!

Paul 4475

Just a note to say that I have been lurking and following this thread for months now despite very infrequent comments, and it's great to see the second tunnel mouth finally emplaced.

In other news, Locomotion has taken delivery of its LNER-liveried Atlantics, so if you had one on order, it should be arriving soon...

As always, a positive delight to drop in and see what's going on :-)

Gavin