Bournemouth Class O2 Workings in the 1950s?

orcadian

Having seen the latest Kernow/Dapol O2 cad/cam teasers, I note that during the 1950's, Bournemouth (71B) had at least a couple of these locos on allocation, alongside the more numerous M7s.

Please does anyone know what they were used for, or whether they found their way down through Wareham to Swanage?

A positive reply could prove profitable for Kernow, and expensive for me!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I can't guarantee that it contains what you want, but Xpress Publishing's Southern Region Operating History, Part 3 Wessex is touted as providing "1950s operating history with emphasis on train services and engine diagrams", which might include Bomo O2s. At £14.95 RRP, it hardly seems a big risk.....

Guest Belgian

According to Don Bradley, in his 'LSWR Locomotives - the Drummond classes' book by Wild Swan, page 177, three Bournemouth M7s fitted for p-p working were transferred to Horsham in 1949. To fill the gap 'their carriage piloting duties at the Central and West stations were taken over by O2s 204/12'.

On page 72 of the Adams classes volume he states 'Normally they were employed piloting at the Central and West stations, but occasionally they ventured onto the Swanage branch or worked local goods to Hamworthy Junction. Other occasional O2 duties included relieving the Engineer's Department shunter at Meldon Quarry and C14 class No. 77s at the Redbridge Permanent Way Dept.'

In the Xpress book mentioned by Oldddudders the Bournemouth duty 412 was for an O2, off shed at 05.35 for Central pilot duties, back on shed at 23.55 - a very long day's work!

JE

Many thanks to both of you!

What a wonderful group of people we have in this excellent resource called RM Web!

Not only are you so widely read (in both senses) both within and outwith RMWeb, but no sooner is a book suggested than someone with a copy looks up the desired info! I am very grateful to you both, and probably had guessed who might come up trumps with the answers to this one!

Latest Amazon price for that book is over £20 by the way!

So an O2 is not only a 'wow! model, it's justifiable - good news for Kernow!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Latest Amazon price for that book is over £20 by the way!

Dealing direct might be a better option. http://www.xpresspublishing.co.uk/DC16_AD_low_res.pdf

I have two other publications from them, bought from Kevin Robertson at Tonbridge Show, and I would say they do pretty much what it says on the tin. Pleased that Belgian had a copy to confirm!

Archived