Triang motors

• RMweb Gold

Don't think I've asked this question before, apologies if I have.

Can anyone confirm that the dia of the thrust ball at either end of the shaft of a Triang motor bogie armature is 3/32"?

cheers N

It has to be the same diameter as the armature shaft to fit in the bearings - that is 3/32".

I bought some ball bearings on eBay as replacements, as a lot cheaper than the ones sold as Tri-ang originals.

Not sure what you paid David? mine are 36p each, I've got 21 left then they're gone for good

That's quite reasonable and considerably less than I saw the genuine article on eBay (Should have asked here first!). As ball bearings, they were £2.49 incl p&p for 200 in stainless steel about a year ago. Not original parts of course.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all. Got some from the local bike shop. They are definitely 3/32", which is 2.38mm. Shimano PD-M324 pedal bearings will do the trick, although the ones I got were a nondescript lot of unknown origin, which they let me have for £1.50 for a bag of about 60. Full retail price of a pack of said Shimano bearings is about £6 for a pack of 62.

cheers N.

No such thing as a Triang "Original" they too would buy them in from a manufactor, and like in any business, for the best price.

True! It's just that they were supplied by Tri-ang, rather like the exorbitantly priced screws on eBay. For some reason collector's care about such things..

Archived