RMweb

Correct position of truss rods on GWR wagons and vans ?

I am building the Parkside Dundas GWR Mink D and the GWR Python. The instructions say to cement truss rods INSIDE the solebars and to the two droppers either side of the door. This would put the truss rods behind/inside the V hangers. Is this correct ?

I have not built any kits with truss rods before so I am not quite sure of the exact position. What was the purpose of these truss rods ?

I am building the Parkside Dundas GWR Mink D and the GWR Python. The instructions say to cement truss rods INSIDE the solebars and to the two droppers either side of the door. This would put the truss rods behind/inside the V hangers. Is this correct ?

I have not built any kits with truss rods before so I am not quite sure of the exact position. What was the purpose of these truss rods ?

Definitely behind the V hanger and inside the solebars. I believe the trusses brace the very long 18' chassis in the same way a bogie coach is strengthened by longitudinal trusses stretched over queen posts. Good drawing on page 20 of Russell's Pictorial Record of GWR wagons. The posts seem to be 3' apart on the centreline and the rods meet the lower side of the solebar about 8' 6'' from the end.

Archived