1950's Talyllyn footage

mike morley

As this was first put on Youtube nearly a year ago I'm amazed a link hasnt been posted on here before (Apologies if it has and I've simply failed to pick it up)

Some of the "scenes" are obviously staged, but I reckon they were built around real events - the derailment surely being one of them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4JCJjV87uU

If the link dosent work (a lot of mine dont) use Youtubes search facility for "Railway with a heart of gold"

The reason the above link won't work in this instance is because only one of the two "u"s at the end should be there, and neither "edit" nor "topic moderation" will allow me to do anything about it.

The link should, therefore, be

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4JCJjV87U

If that doesnt work, I havent the slightest idea why and can only repeat my suggestion of searching "Railway with a heart of gold" and assure you the effort will be worthwhile

"Railway with a Heart of Gold" was shot by American film maker Carson Davidson in 1953. On completion he said he would "send a copy when it's ready". Nothing more was heard, and it was forgotten about until a parcel turned up at Wharf Station 10 years later (with customs duty to pay!).

Most of the "derailments" were staged except "Sir Haydn" on a down afternoon train, which was a very real and unexpected incident. Several volunteers who would become "leading lights" are seen eating the ice cream found in the brake van. This was genuine and saved it melting in the "cold box"!

The loco driver was played by British actor Peter Assender, who made appearances on BBC's Saturday Night Theatre and was in the Dam Busters film.

The film has been shown at Edinburgh and Venice film festivals, and has been on national TV.

I was an active TR volunteer when this film came to light, and it was greeted like the discovery of the long lost scrolls even then. It has been used at film events for various railway societies up and down the country as well as being available on video and DVD.

The film is not only a unique and important piece of railway preservation history, it shows the TR in all its decrepitude. Surely nobody would be allowed to operate a public railway so run down today? Above all, it is a thorougly enjoyable film to watch. The slightly incredulous tone of the American narrator on discovering the Britiish eccentrics adds to it immensely. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it now but never tire of it. It's absolutely priceless!

(Some details from "Talyllyn Revived", by Alan Holmes).

Thanks for the info.

Not only is it an important record of preservation history, it also gives modern modellers an insight into how run-down and decrepit a railway could get and still keep operating. All we've got to do now is work out how to get model locos to operate on track that bad!

Was Peter Assender simply acting the part of the driver or was he a Talyllyn driver who also happened to be an actor?

I've never seen or heard his name mentioned in connection with early volunteering, although he is refered to in the film as a volunteer "who is an actor with the BBC in London".

It wasn't until much later that volunteers were routinely allowed to drive public trains. In 1953 the regular drivers would be the full time staff (Hugh, Herbert and Dai Jones) or Bill Faulkener (an unpaid Society and Company Director) who was often seen on No 4 Edward Thomas. He had a notorious reputation for breaking the speed limits on the refurbished sections of track!

Thanks for that, it was new to me and brought back some old memories, my first visit to the TR was in 1954 on a school railway society trip. That overgrown track is just as I remember it.

Keith

post-3169-0-49754800-1342730506.jpg

post-3169-0-07763200-1342730537.jpg

Super photos! The fireman on No 4 in the first shot is local schoolboy Gareth Jones. He was spotted hanging around Wharf station on most days and offered a part-time job firing for 2/6d per week. He was 14 at the time! Hard to imagine these days, but it was difficult to crew the trains in the early '50s. Paid holidays were still rare, so volunteers were thin on the ground during the week.

Gareth went on to have a long and distinguished footplate career on British Railways.

Searching on Railway with a Heart of Gold brought it up instantly but where is Talleelinn ? Good find, thanks.

Loco No1 Talyllyn was stored out of use in the old hay barn at Pendre when the film was made. Totally derelict, it was competely rebuilt in 1958.

Loco No1 Talyllyn was stored out of use in the old hay barn at Pendre when the film was made. Totally derelict, it was competely rebuilt in 1958.

That's good to know but I really meant the place as (mis) pronounced by the narrator. I'm sure I also heard the low moan of an American loco whistle on the soundtrack. The film itself was obviously shot mute.

I first visited the railway during a family holiday at around that time. I must have been about five or six and we only went as far as Dolgoch but I remember some aspects of it quite vividly and especially that it seemed a very friendly railway. I also remember not understanding why it had pairs of buffers when I "knew" that narrow gauge railways were only supposed to use single centre buffer/couplings.

I fairly recently read Tom Rolt's Landscape with Trains along with the other books in his autobiographical trilogy and it's interesting to contrast a far more honest and forthright account of his time running the Talyllyn with the more familiar and rather rosier account in Railway Adventure.

Thanks for that David-very timely -we have one last copy of Landscape Trilogy in stock at work-will have to grab it before it goes-as to pronunciation-the narrator was almost certainly not familiar with Welsh -a tricksy language full of variables & mutations and with some letters having completely different values-have lived here 20+ years & still come across words that I cant begin to pronounce

Archived