BBC The train now departing on YouTube

sjp23480

Guest 838rapid

Well found Sir.

Oddily enough I found the boxed video pack of the full series under my bed last night.

These are proper programs,have to love the MP who travelled on the train over the S and C yet was charged with closing it.

Imagine this happening now adays,it would have cause so much spin,I guess it would be a super U turn..

• RMweb Gold

Steve, that's an excellent resource. I think I'll watch this programme more than once!

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Have been watching your Kirkby Luneside thread with interests.

I had built an S&C inspired layout back in the 1980's but when my parents moved, it was dismantled.

Have yearned to recreate a section of the line and your thread is now spurring me on to realise that ambition.

It will be a few months yet as I need to complete my garage conversion and funds are not exactly plentiful at the moment, but watch this space.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

The opening scene is on the Clapham Junction - Low Gill line, the train is approaching Low Gill, heading North, the Down distant guards the end of the viaduct.

The viaduct is still standing and can be seen easily from the Northbound M6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve. Glad you are following the KL thread!

The video you posted is quite inspirational - what a national treasure the S&C is! It would have been typical of the bureaucrats to close it down.

Good luck with the conversion. The more S&C themed layouts we have, the better. If you haven't already, have a look at 60091 (Alan)'s excellent N gauge S&C layout.

Cheers,

Jeff

Archived