If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

N gauge British

JOHN250

When I started in N Gauge some years ago, I decided on North American outline, using

Kato and Atlas, as I was frankly disenchanted with the British outline choice and reliability.

It has of course enabled me to run DCC as well.

However. I believe things are improving, and I'm interested in anyone's views

John

I'd say yes as now we have two companies producing British N gauge models and Dapol's entry into the market has certainly raised the standard of UK models and given Bachmann/Farish a much needed boot up the backside, now that they actually have some competition. Proof of the better standards is that when photographs are released of new models, apart from the coupler you usually can't actually tell that it is an N gauge model, which was certainly not the case in the past!

Also modern models do run a lot better these days, although steam outline models do seem to be more troublesome but I guess that's just partly the nature of their design.

I've recently been given a healthy amount of N gauge equipment that I'm going to have a play with in the new year before I decide if I return to OO or investigate finer standards in N/2mm. I have read and been told so many conflicting reports on the current crop of N steam models I really don't know the real answer any more. At shows I've seen plenty of models that seem to run well enough but then again they haven't been shunting a yard.

I'm interested in the responses here.

The new models in the last five years from either Dapol or Farish have been streets ahead of what went before, and most are DCC friendly too. So far this progress has mainly been with diesels but steam is starting to benefit too. The major downside as far as I am concerned is the lack of a decent universal coupler, but Bachmann have recently announced one that could be just the thing.

• RMweb Gold

The new stuff is fantastic, and as someone who is primarily interested in landscape & scenic modelling, its very appealling.

It also depends what, when and where you want to model though, as the N Gauge ranges are far more restricted (especially if you are only looking at new better releases) than in 4mm. If you look at North Eastern & Scottish regions for instance (my personal favourites) there are still big holes, at least for the time being

Archived