Blackwell Mill

freightmaster

Morning all.....

I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of years now, And after a good few years away from modeling (well in these sizes anyway) some of the fantastic work going on around here prompted me to get back into modeling, and build a layout.

In my time away I often thourght "if only I had the space....... maybe I could build another layout" and as such I have over last few years put a considerable amount of time thinking about what I would want out of a layout should I get the chance. In the past I have always made a board, chucked as much track down as possible and then spent countless times ripping it up and changing it as new idears came along. This time I wanted to think of as many outcomes as possible before rushing in!

I set some stiff criteira for myself before starting construction....

I often find with so many layouts that they tend to be flat with lots of track and maybe an occasional mound/hill, I wanted to really get the "feel" that the hills came first and the railway second, I wanted to use trackwork that actually looks somthing like real track although I didn't want to start regauging locos and stock, the layout should push my modelling skills to their limit and allow my to try new/different techniques.

I should probably also point out that I have little intrest in actually operating a layout! for me it is the construction!

On to the layout.....

The layout is going to be set in deepest Derbyshire, the area around Millers Dale and blackwell Mill has always fasinated me so it seemed as good a place as any to base the layout. Of course the railway ceased to exist there back in the late 60s and I am into modern image, so my excuse is the layout is a sort of "what might have been" the track plan is completely fictitous but should allow for plenty of operations for those who do have the impetus to "play trains" Those of you who are familiar with the area will know it's very much steep hills and limestone cliffs. I will try and incoperate this as much as possible!

One thing I did realise is that the layout is going to need some fairly serious height to obtain the right "feel" and I wanted the trains to be up to or close to eye height so with luck one would get a much better veiw point instead of the usual peering down upon a layout.

The scenic section of the layout is just two 4' x 2' 6" boards it is intended that should the layout ever be up to an exibition standard two large fiddle yards would be added but for now the space I have only allows me to have on very short fiddle yard at one end.

I'll stop rambling now and post some pictures of progress.

:blind:

I started the layout about 6 weeks ago now, so I have quite a few more pics of progress, I'll start to add more.........

I'm currently having my patience tested whilst trying to build the Ratio Midland type 2 signal box that I need for the layout but hey! No one said this project would be easy!

Track work has been laid with the usual cork underlay, this is a first for me, people have been raving about cork underlay for as long as I can remmeber. They were absolutley right it does make a world of differance! the track was then spayed in the usual manor a nice dirty colour.

IMG-20120628-00288.jpg

IMG-20120630-00298.jpg

Ballsasting........

IMG-20120703-00307.jpg

IMG-20120703-00300.jpg

The ballast still needs tiding up, the stuff I bourght was not stone :umbrage: I'm not exactly shure what it was but it was so light that after hours of delicate positioning the super fine mist of water applied before the PVA solution still blew it everywhere :threaten:

Ho Hum!

I'm looking for some little point motor castings but no luck so far, can anyone point me in the right direction? :sarcastichand:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived